Win8=6.66% Growth=-0.87%
    Win7=46.64% Growth=+0.22%
    WXP=31.22% Growth=-0.02%
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    Win8=6.66% Growth=-0.87%
    ... for Windows 8.0 only, not Windows 8.1 or both combined.

Combined, the Window 8.x pair hit 9.3 per cent of the market – up from 9.25 per cent in October.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-12-03 at 18:18.

Thanks
    Another point of view. Scroll to the bottom...

"The total share between the two operating systems (8 and 8.1) was 9.25 percent in October. In November it had barely grown to 9.30 percent."
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Businesses that have begun the process of converting to Win 7 from Win XP will not for the most part switch gears to Win 8/Win 8.1. You might see more businesses that have not yet begun the process of leaving XP go to Win 8/Win 8.1. Also those businesses that are converting to tablet use would most likely be better off with Win 8/Win 8.1. Time will tell.

By the way it does appear Win 8/Win 8.1 is already ahead of OS X in Market share.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    My thought is that most businesses prefer Windows 7 for desktops and laptops, because most office workers are much more productive with a keyboard and mouse rather than with a touchscreen.

If Microsoft would include the Windows 7 style start button / start menu with Windows 8.x, I believe that Windows 8.x sales would increase.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 98 SE was a paid upgrade for those with Win 98. Why can't they take the efficiencies achieved in Win 8 and produce a Win 7 SE?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    My thought is that most businesses prefer Windows 7 for desktops and laptops, because most office workers are much more productive with a keyboard and mouse rather than with a touchscreen.

If Microsoft would include the Windows 7 style start button / start menu with Windows 8.x, I believe that Windows 8.x sales would increase.
    The thing is that Win 8, and now Win 8.1 works very well for my wife and me with 6 to 7 year old conventional PCs. Perhaps it works similarly to Win 7 and businesses say why go to Win 8/Win 8.1 when we have committed to Win 7 and it works, especially when we have to set up Win 8/Win 8.1 to look and feel like Win 7. The thing is that Win 8/Win 8.1 has been designed to work better with the newer PCs and tablets that many businesses are switching to, especially for those employees that have to move around for their job, whether on the road or in one location. It's easier to carry a tablet than a laptop.

The Start Button discussion is a moot point, IMO, as there are too many good replacement apps for this function.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The thing is that Win 8, and now Win 8.1 works very well for my wife and me with 6 to 7 year old conventional PCs.
    I have a 7 year old eMachines computer with 2GB of RAM. Windows 8.x works extremely well on it.

The Start Button discussion is a moot point, IMO, as there are too many good replacement apps for this function.
    You're right; businesses will definitely get something as simple as one of the add on start buttons if they want Windows 8 for other reasons.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There two main obstacles that I see which prevent businesses from choosing Windows 8.1. One is time. The other is money. It is very time consuming to test and upgrade all corporate applications for compatibility. If a business is currently using XP then it may be very expensive to upgrade commercial applications not to mention the time & expense to upgrade in-house applications. Almost all of these applications can be run in a Win7 environment with XP mode for the stubborn applications. There is potentially a significant amount of time and expense on training for a significantly changed UI.

If a business particularly a larger business is running Win7 it is likely only to have migrated in the last couple of years. They do not want to start another migration. Many businesses will want to see what happens with Windows over the next several years giving them a chance to recoup some of their expenses in Win7 while planning for the future.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, clearly the "hash" is settled for Win 7, it's a known dependable quality for 6+ years yet, as much or more than a typical business PC overhaul cycle.

Just as clearly Win 8 is in transition and it seems clear to many that the emphasis is all Metro. Thinking start menu replacement is far too short-sighted if one is a decent businessman. So far the desktop can be fixed up and most of what would just be bloatware to business can be disabled, but how long is that going to last? Is the next version going to be traditional desktop-less and be called Win 9? If so then 8.1 will be supported until 2023, but if its 8.2 then 8.1 might lose support before Win 7 does. Microsoft dropped the cartoon version of the 16 ton uncertainty principle right on Win 8's bloated code.
    They know that and are banking on coming out the other side with a metamorphosed Windows that appeals to consumers, and business I guess(?). I can see the former being a success but I dunno about the latter.

Like dogberry....2018, Microsoft announces Windows Business (Win 7 2.0).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    With the faster update cadence seemingly here to stay at least for the non-business/enterprise side there is some talk of Windows business/enterprise client possibly being updated on a slower pace along with the server software. Strictly a rumor right now.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe the trend is all circle back, from server based computing to distributed computing (personal computing), now back to server based computing.

Cloud based computing, or web based apps, are the same as server based computing. The only difference is that in business, server system is tightly controlled and locally serviced (by the business itself). Now server maintenance is off loaded to 3rd party (the cloud). Server maintenance is expensive and only available to business and professionals. Now server based computing is available to all via The Cloud.

MS would be smart to go web-based/server-based computing in the very near future. In fact, separating consumer computing from business computing maybe a good thing, and an approach to expand. The only caution is that business values privacy and business secret. They keep it tight to their chest. (Business secret: proprietary business method and technology that it elects not to patent. It is a business approach, not the same as citizen privacy.) Maybe small business may warm to it. No big business for sure.