New Lounger
    Thanks

How to disable USB 1.1 ports?

I need some wisdom from heavy duty geeks.
    I run Win XP SP3 on a Soyo Dragon 2 motherboard. The motherboard is spec-ed for 8 USB ports but my PC brings out only 6 ports; 4-USB 2.0 and 2-USB 1.1. I use a program that uses USB but selects the slowest available in the machine, so it runs on the USB 1.1 and the slowness drives me crazy. I have no use for the USB 1.1 ports at all. Is there a way that I can disable those ports so that my program will not see them and hopefully run on the 2.0s. I am including a pic of my device manager in the hope that someone can tell me what and how to disable the dinosaurs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Something you might try: connect something to each 1.1 port (e.g. keyboard and mouse), thereby making them unavailable.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried that but the program just hung. I know that it can work with usb 2.0 because I run it on my laptop that has only usb 2.0 ports and it runs at the faster speed. Somehow I have to make the program think that there are no usb 1.1 ports in this computer. Maybe usb infrastructure is more complex that I imagine. Stiil, I would appreciate any ideas from folks who have dealt with such issues.

Thanks
    Try this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7308525_disa...g-usb-2_0.html

The idea is that you go into the computer's BIOS and tell it to disable legacy USB 1.1 support.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try this. With no devices plugged into the 1.1 USB ports, right click one of the USB root hubs and select Properties, then Power. Note which hubs have no devices. Plug a device into the 1.1 port. Repeat the procedure seeing which hub has a device now. That should be the hub to disable. After you remove the device and disable the hub plug the device into the other 1.1 port just to make sure it is disabled too.

Joe

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2013-12-09),scaisson (2013-12-10)

Thanks
    Norton, are you going to reply to this or just stand there wiggling your arms around?

Ralph Cramden

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to mrjimphelps and joep517. I found the enable/disable usb in the BIOS. But the trick of plugging a usb 1.1 device in the ports and checking the power tab in the usb hub properties allowed me to map the hubs to the 1.1 ports. I diabled those drivers and that did it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great!! Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Thanks
    Good to know! Now you should try to contact that program's developers to fix their USB problem. I would.