4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Themes not working in Word 2010

Hi,

I have Word 2010. When I click on the Themes button in the Page Layout tab, the various themes are shown but when I click on a theme to apply to my document, nothing happens. What can I do to get the Themes to work? For example, when I hover over a particular them, my document is supposed to change to that theme, but it does not. Nothing happens. I'd appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Thank you,

Moon

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The themes work as expected when you format your document using styles that are included in that theme. This basically means that you format the document using the built-in style names and avoid local font and paragraph formatting.

If you post a sample document that doesn't respond to a change of theme then we can tell you how to modify it so that it does.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew, thank you for your response and help. Below are two paragraphs from a Word 2010 textbook I am using to study Word 2010. Themes would not take when I tried to apply them to this document.

"Chinese President Xi Jinping is all about reform. That’s “reform” as in “kicking butt.” The main take-away from the Third Plenary Session of the Communist Party’s 18th Central Committee is that Xi has consolidated power remarkably quickly and is eager to use it. Some parts of his agenda impress outsiders, such as further relaxing the one-child policy and closing reeducation labor camps. Such steps defuse popular anger toward the regime. Other Xi initiatives are decidedly less appealing, like the vow to “utilize and standardize Internet supervision,” which is code language for censorship. But whether liked or disliked outside China, everything Xi intends to do is directed toward one goal: to consolidate the Communist Party’s central and permanent role as the leader of the nation.
    Democracy is the yielding of power from the party to the people. That’s not what Xi wants. He wants to gather power inward on the theory that only a strong leader can govern a country in which the mountains are high and the emperor is far away. Getting local governments to toe the line “requires a lot of political brute force, and it’s something you can only achieve if you are extremely vigorous,” says Arthur Kroeber, Beijing-based managing director of economic research firm GK Dragonomics. Kroeber says Xi’s anticorruption campaign seems to warn, “Look, this is the way it’s going to be, and if you don’t like it, we have a lot of space in the jails for you.'”
    Last edited by moon1130; 2013-12-05 at 22:39.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That wasn't what we needed to work where you are going wrong.

OK, lets start by finding out what level of knowledge you have of styles in Word. Do you know how to apply a paragraph style?

Can you apply the style 'Normal' to some paragraphs and ensure there is no local formatting which overrides those styles. You can remove local formatting by selecting those paragraphs and pressing Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-Spacebar.
    Once that is done, change the theme and see if those particular paragraphs change when you try a few different themes.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried what you suggested. Ctrl + Q did not work to remove local formatting; Ctrl + spacebar did work. Also, using the Clear Formatting button in the Font group removes formatting from the entire document.

I found that after removing local formatting and then assigning a Style clicking by clicking the Change Style button and selecting a new style from the Style Set in the Styles group on the Home tab, I was able then to use the Themes button.

The selections from the Themes tab seem to work on a document level. To work on a paragraph level, I had to highlight the paragraph and then use the "dialog box" button in the lower corner of the Change Style tab, clear all formatting, then select a style from the Styles Set selections.

Thank you so very much for guiding me to a solution to the problem I was having. I was not aware of "local formatting" before this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Changing the theme changes the style definitions of most built-in styles but you won't see any theme-driven changes in your document if:
    - Your content uses custom styles which are not based on the changeable built-in styles
    - Your content has local font and paragraph formatting which overrides the attributes of the styles applied to the text.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Andrew. The problems I was running into were the result of local font and paragraph formatting. As I mentioned earlier, I was not aware of local formatting and the problems it caused with respect to themes until I posted my problem here and you responded. I have put your comments in my cue card notes; they will be reviewed and reviewed until I have it down solid.

Thank you. Have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Moon