New Lounger
    Thanks

No Windows Easy Transfer 8.1 to 8.1

I just bought a new PC with Windows 8.1. My old PC is also 8.1.

I've had good success with Windows Easy Transfer and I expected to use it for transfer of 8.1 to 8.1. Sorry, there is no 'old PC' in 8.1, only 'new PC' So you can transfer from windows 7 and 8.0 to 8.1 but that is the end of the line. Thanks a lot, Microsoft

I feel confident that I can manually move application settings (like Office) and data to the new PC. But I was wondering what others might use. Laplink.com has a program called PCMover that they claim will even move applications. I have serious doubts about that, especially since I am going from 32-bit to 64-bit. Does anyone have experience with PCMover or an alternative?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Hi,

I used Laplink's PC Mover when I migrated from Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. It worked pretty well. Everything was moved properly, but Office required a new validation. The only failure was an old copy of Adobe Acrobat, but it was the only glaring failure in a very long list of apps.

I haven't used it ever since, but their technology was quite good, back then. If you check the Home version, it makes no mention of Windows versions. Considering my previous experience with them, I give them some credit, as I have seen it working in a pretty similar scenario to your current one. They actually even claim 24/7 support by an expert to help with your move.

The only downside I see to this is cost. A license is good for one PC only, so you can't reuse this thing multiple times in different PCs.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I do not think you will find an app that will take apps from your first Win 8.1 PC and move those apps to your second Win 8.1 PC. It should be pretty easy to install all your apps, then you can sync the data from one to the other, especially if you sign on using a MS account. Network them, then copy data from the first to the second. Or even better, if you set up a Skydrive account and put data from the first on Skydrive, you should be able to connect the second to the Skydrive account and have them sync.

Moving apps from one Win 8.1 to another Win 8.1 is not the same as migrating during an Upgrade. I will be very surprised if this can be done.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, WET has been deprecated. See the post by Michael Day [MSFT] @ Windows Easy Transfer (Win 8.1) .

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I do not think you will find an app that will take apps from your first Win 8.1 PC and move those apps to your second Win 8.1 PC. It should be pretty easy to install all your apps, then you can sync the data from one to the other, especially if you sign on using a MS account. Network them, then copy data from the first to the second. Or even better, if you set up a Skydrive account and put data from the first on Skydrive, you should be able to connect the second to the Skydrive account and have them sync

Moving apps from one Win 8.1 to another Win 8.1 is not the same as migrating during an Upgrade. I will be very surprised if this can be done.
    The op did not ask about moving apps, just app settings that WET handled very well. Per Joe's post, it looks like one more useful maintenance tool Microsoft has deleted. The Microsoft rep quoted there seemed clueless about the usefulness of this program.

Jerry