Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Touchscreen v. Mouse + traditional monitor?

I've been using computers for so long that I can even remember the early Windows versions! I've been using XP for a few years now so I suppose I'm a Windows 'traditionalist'.

However, like many XP users, I'm probably going to get a new PC soon. I already have a 25 in. monitor that's pretty good + I have a tablet so I'm used to a touchscreen.

Assuming that my new PC will have Win 8.1 as its OS, (+I realise how different from XP it is), I'd really appreciate your opinions on whether I should go the whole way + get a touchscreen or stick with my mouse?

Thanks
    Are you going to try to find a desktop PC? If so you might be hard pressed to find one with Win 8.1. Laptops and tablets will be readily available with Win 8.1, and most will likely have touch screens.

I would still use a mouse (I do now with Win 8.1 installed). I have a USB add-on mouse and would not be without it, but then again I have never used much of a touch screen (other than our smart phones and Nooks). I do not have a newer laptop or tablet with a touchscreen, but Win 8.1 works quite well with my conventional laptops.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, 99. ( your age ? )
    Ergonomically, the touch screen is an aberration. I also hate to have to clean my screen > twice/month. This being said, using a mouse close at hand is better from a human point of view. Although if you are travelling, in a train or plane, the touch screen is a fine replacement. I spent a few razbutnicks getting a touch screen for my desktop but never use it. That is me and you are you. YMMV is a fine expression ! I even use a mouse (wireless) on my touch pad equipped laptops, more precise. Jean.

Thanks
    "razbutnicks", that must be a French Canadian expression. LOL. I also use the aforementioned mouse on a laptop with a touchpad. I do not really like the touchpad. Our mice are also wireless.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thx for the replies so far.

handcufff - I'm 62 + proud of it! Also, what's 'YMMV' mean?

I really don't like laptops - I prefer a traditional keyboard because of RSI reasons + I just don't get on with touchpads. I use a laser mouse - it's great. I like my rablet but using it for longish periods gives me neckache! I'm having a real problem imagining myself having a large touchscreen. Like I said, I'm a traditionalist!

Thanks
    Myself, I prefer a keyboard and mouse. I've been using a keyboard and mouse since Windows 3.1 came out, and a keyboard since the days of punchcards.

If I were out and about, with a tablet, I would use the touch screen, because that is what would be appropriate to that device. Also, it would be cumbersome to carry around a keyboard and mouse.

However, when I'm at my desk, in my office, a keyboard and mouse is what is appropriate to that device, a desktop PC. And it is not cumbersome at all to have a keyboard and mouse, because they simply sit on my desk.

If you are used to using a keyboard and mouse, I believe that that will be a lot more productive than a touch screen. No need to give up those items when you're at your desk.

Also, if you like to eat while you work, your touch screen will get a lot of greasy fingerprints on it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I am on my 2nd touch enabled laptop. They are touch enabled because they can function as tablets. When using them as tablets, I use touch. When using them as laptops, hardly do that, although it may be handy to do so, in specific occasions.

So, the decision to go touch or not should depends on how you want to use it. If it is a traditional laptop and you plan to use it as such, I don't think touch is really needed. When used as tablets, then touch is mandatory, of course.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    "YMMV" is another acronym - Your Mileage May Vary.

I've found that once you start using a cell phone and/or tablet going to a PC some things just seem like they should be touch enabled and others still don't. A mouse and keyboard still have their place in the computing environment.

I've read of some people that have gotten a Windows 8.1 Pro tablet and then hook it up to a large monitor, a keyboard, a mouse, and even an external HD to use as a desktop/laptop replacement.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I've read of some people that have gotten a Windows 8.1 Pro tablet and then hook it up to a large monitor, a keyboard, a mouse, and even an external HD to use as a desktop/laptop replacement.

Joe
    With the ability to connect all of these items to a tablet, and then use the tablet as a desktop computer, everyone can be happy with it, and it is useful in all possible situations.

I predict that that is the kind of device that most people will have in the near future.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post

Joe
    I use my Toshiba u920t just like that. It's an i5 with 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD, so it is a desktop replacement that works fine when connected to a 24" monitor. It also functions very well as a tablet, good to use when I travel to work by train (when I don't work from home).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Touchscreens are useful in the modern GUI, not so useful in the desktop GUI. The screen smudging problem can be minimized through the use of a stylus.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Touchscreens are useful in the modern GUI, not so useful in the desktop GUI. The screen smudging problem can be minimized through the use of a stylus.

Jerry
    A glass screen would make it easy to clean the smudges, and would prevent the smudges from permanently staining the screen.

Not sure how a glass screen would affect touch sensitivity.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    YMMV
    My first experience with a touch mouse was a disaster. I never could get used to it. I abandoned it in favor of more traditional ways.
    3 years later, I discovered that most of the problem was the default settings for that model laptop. I discovered that by trying a different manufacturer. YMMV!!! Truer words can’t be spoken.
    Michael

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Touch whenever a mouse and keyboard are inconvenient or not needed. In all other cases, mouse and keyboard. RG is the only other one I know of who's using a Logitech M310 (normal size) wireless mouse so we could get his opinion but they are far more versatile, accurate and convenient than even one minute of finger painting; and I can use it confidently, no issues at all using several in fact from up to 10 ft. away from the receiver. I use them for gaming and forget all about the fact that it's wireless, that's how dependable it is. Which is another YMMV point because I've used some crappy wireless mice in the past but thanks to the M310, wireless mouse computing seems more advanced to me than touch does in all but the mobile, mobile environment where the device is handheld.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two Logitech M510 wireless mice, one for the desktop and one for the laptop. The laptop is a Toshiba Portege -- the screen isn't touch enabled, but the touchpad has a driver that makes it respond to the touch gestures (swipe, pinch, etc.). Well, it sometimes responds, and sometimes it screws up or does nothing. I hate that touchpad, and usually turn it off. The mouse is so much more precise and predictable.

I'm thinking of retiring the desktop, which is 5 years old, and just plugging the keyboard and monitor into the laptop. There's one drawback to that: the desktop has dual 23" monitors, and the laptop has only one external monitor port. I really don't want to try working with one 23" monitor and the 13" laptop screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast