Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    as a separate disk maintenance tool, get Steve Gibson's SpinRite tool from GRC. Search Gibson Research Center, not sure if .org or .com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed by access-mdb
    Hmmm F.U.N., on this side of the pond we would say go west.
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Seriously? That's interesting, I've never heard that expression before. It means manifest destiny here...or it did a long time ago now eh.
    Or on this side of the pond we say "belly up" as in dead fish, or some other equally obscure saying.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post

The Restore is important, especially for me, because it re-writes my HD in a completely Defragmented manner.
    So I just do my weekly Backup, Verify and Restore and never have to do a Defrag.
    Keeping my hard drive defragmented, is just one reason why my PC runs so good. (it's now 8 years old and still runs better than
    many brand new PC's.)
    Backup, Verify and Restore, what a great idea. I did that and my computer likes it.

jkitc

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Acronis True Image. I set it to verify every full backup/image. But I don't do a restore. I have mounted the image and selectively restored files to a "test restore" directory and opened them to see that they are not corrupted, but of course that doesn't test system files. If you do a full restore and the image is flawed in any way, it would trash the system, wouldn't it?

So what kind of restore are you doing and to what system?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ2 View Post
    I use Acronis True Image. I set it to verify every full backup/image. But I don't do a restore. I have mounted the image and selectively restored files to a "test restore" directory and opened them to see that they are not corrupted, but of course that doesn't test system files. If you do a full restore and the image is flawed in any way, it would trash the system, wouldn't it?

So what kind of restore are you doing and to what system?
    Yes, there is the possibility of a restore trashing the system. The issue was discussed to some extent here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...m-image-safely

Maybe have a look and see if it helps answering your concerns.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    One thing to consider is that in addition to the Macrium Reflect Free Program updates, there are frequent updates to the WinPE download and Recovery Disk. When these are available, it is wise to make new recovery CDs. Failure to do so in recent updates resulted in issues with GPT and with NAS devices. See Macrium Free's Release Notes on these updates for details.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-01-04 at 12:44.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12