Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing boot order.

Having installed Macrium Reflect and created a Linux boot disc, I wished to test it. After closing the PC and clicking F12 on start-up, I was confronted by something new:
    Boot mode set to UEFI: Secure boot is on.
    UEFI BOOT
    Windows Boot Manager
    UEFI TSST corp DVD+/-
    OTHER POSITION
    Bios setup
    Diagnostics
    Change boot mode setting.

What do I change to boot from the rescue disk, and then how to revert to a normal boot from the HD?
    Is it worthwhile creating Windows PE disk also? Oh, and why has it changed?

Thanks for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Probably the linux disc is enough. What do you get when you choose change boot mode setting?

I am not sure whether you will have to disable safe boot, but other Macrium users can probably help with that (was thinking RetiredGeek, who also has secure boot). Anyway, you will probably find out quick enough if you need to disable secure boot or not.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you work day and night, Rui? It certainly seems so.

Anticipating another incomprehensible screen if change boot mode selected I thought it better to get some guidance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I work very odd hours, but I am very productive from 12 AM to 4 AM .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    George,

What media did you create the boot disk on CD/DVD or USB? If it was a CD/DVD just select that option as shown in your post.
    UEFI TSST corp DVD+/-
    Also when you created the boot device was the box indicated below checked?
    MRUEFI.JPG
    It should have been automatically checked but if it didn't detect your computer correctly you may need to check it manually.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG. I used a DVD, as it' supposed to be more reliable than a flash drive. I didn't see a page looking anything like your screenprint, but there was one which said press Finish to continue.

I set the boot order to UEFI TSST as suggested, but rebooting resulting in a red screen headed SIGNATURE VIOLATION, which said something to the effect that I need to change the signature in Setup.

A lengthy search of the system has failed to produce anything regarding signature, secure boot or setup, so basically I have to find out how to disable secure boot, or try imaging software other than Acronis or Macrium.

Or might a WinPE disk get round this?
    George
    Last edited by georgelee; 2013-12-05 at 15:07.

Thanks
    George,

Yes you definitely want the Win PE version. That's what I'm using and I have no problem with it. I also don't see the problem with using a USB key for the boot media. I have one I've been using for over a year w/o problems plus it is a lot easier to update when Macrium issues a newer version. When I went to get the screen shot for you I was notified of a new version so I did the update and then just created a new boot media right over my previous one no problem.

BTW: you don't have to change the boot order as that is what the F12 key (assuming you have a Dell) is for letting you select a different boot media on a one time basis.

You may find this article on Why Verification Fails useful.
    I found this in the article so I stand corrected.
    Note: Auto-verify is only available with the full edition of Macrium Reflect. Please see here for information on turning this feature on: http://www.macrium.com/webhelp/Advan...d=y#AutoVerify
    HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-12-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I prefer DVD for anything that is going to be used in the future. Put in a DVD case or envelope with a label and kept with the various installation disks it’s easy to find, whereas with 2 or 3 flash drives I never know which one something is on. Even if DVDs take a little longer to create, they are cheap, currently 18p (c $0.12), and are convenient.

Anyway, I burned the WinPE rescue disk, put it in the drive, restarted with F12 – it is a Dell – and followed your advice regarding selection, then it opened with the usual screen, and clicking brought up the password page. I had expected something different from a recovery disk, at least opening in safe mode, so I’ve no idea whether the disk works or not. Can you advise?

Creating a new image using Macrium, only took 11.5 minutes. I opened a few data files, and they were OK. However, the absence of verification in the free version compels one to upgrade. When I back up my data to DVD with verification, I have always opened 1% of the files in each major folder to check. Occasionally it finds a corrupted file, which can be replaced if there is a sound version in the last 6 monthly backups.

Whilst setting up the image I noticed that the PC contains drives named ESP, WINRETOOL and PBR Image. These also appeared Wednesday when I examined the Acronis image, and the failure to open the latter, which I took to be the actual image, was the reason I thought Acronis wasn’t working properly.

Consequently, I made another Acronis image today, which had completed when I took a look 16 minutes after the start. I have installed my data since the first image, so it was possible to open a few files to see they were alright. When clicking mount I saw the unmount option, and decided to failure to do so was the cause of my problems the other day. This time I unmounted the image after checking it, but taking a look later again showed the ‘another tool running’ message, so there is some other problem.

Were it not for this issue I might take up the Acronis 3 user offer at £60 including tax, which is comparable to the Macrium normal price of $84 plus 18% tax exchange rate fees for four users, but we only have 3 machines. I still have a few hours to decide.

Somewhat off topic. The Seagate drive does not have an on/off switch, is it OK to wait a while then pull the plug out when finished with it, or is it necessary to do it by closing the PC.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2013-12-06 at 11:36.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Somewhat off topic. The Seagate drive does not have an on/off switch, is it OK to wait a while then pull the plug out when finished with it, or is it necessary to do it by closing the PC.
    Your situation with Acronis is a bit weird, never experienced that, to be honest and it doesn't seem to be much info available on similar situations. Unfortunately there are always a few cases where the tools do not work as expected.

As to the drive, the safest way is always to eject the drive first and then switch it off. I confess to not always doing it that way.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I prefer DVD for anything that is going to be used in the future. Put in a DVD case or envelope with a label and kept with the various installation disks it’s easy to find, whereas with 2 or 3 flash drives I never know which one something is on. Even if DVDs take a little longer to create, they are cheap, currently 18p (c $0.12), and are convenient.
    However, IMHO you'd be much better off with a USB HD for image backups.
    Anyway, I burned the WinPE rescue disk, put it in the drive, restarted with F12 – it is a Dell – and followed your advice regarding selection, then it opened with the usual screen, and clicking brought up the password page. I had expected something different from a recovery disk, at least opening in safe mode, so I’ve no idea whether the disk works or not. Can you advise?
    You attempt to boot from the Win PE disk was UNSUCCESSFUL! You should have seen a progress bar and then the window showing that Macrium was starting up. You may want to try using a USB Key drive vs CD/DVD as it seems your machine is having problems recognizing that drive. BTW Exactly which DELL?

Also, you are aware that when you are attempting to boot into the Rescue Environment you have to keep tapping the F12 key until you get the boot menu?

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-12-06 at 14:38.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Creating a new image using Macrium, only took 11.5 minutes. I opened a few data files, and they were OK. However, the absence of verification in the free version compels one to upgrade. When I back up my data to DVD with verification, I have always opened 1% of the files in each major folder to check. Occasionally it finds a corrupted file, which can be replaced if there is a sound version in the last 6 monthly backups.
    Macrium Reflect free does have a verify option. Unlike Pro it's manual. When you start MR click on the restore tab. You will get a list of available images. On the right of each there's four options. Verify is the bottom right with a tick on a red shield.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-12-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    As to the drive, the safest way is always to eject the drive first and then switch it off. I confess to not always doing it that way.
    Initially puzzled as to how to eject a 2TB drive, it eventually sunk in that it’s the same as ejecting a flash drive, then pulling out the plug when there is no off switch.

In practice not so easy. After creating another image yesterday, I was told to wait as it was in use. Two hours later it was still working, so I just closed the laptop and went to bed. Hopefully it's still OK

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    However, IMHO you'd be much better off with a USB HD for image backups.:
    That’s what I’m using – a 2TB Seagate drive. The reference was to my reasons for preferring DVD for the rescue disks. The PC is a Dell Inspiron 660 with Intel i.3, 3240 CPU.

I’ve now created USB rescue media, which at least booted up – probably because I had previously eased back from clicking F12 continuously to perhaps 5 or 6 clicks. It immediately ran into a problem with a missing Network Control driver Vender VEN_168C, Device DEV_0032, Type NIC, No driver loaded.

I had no success trying to follow the options, and the following can be interpreted two ways:
    ‘You only need to load drivers for devices if they are required for backup or restore.’

This could mean that the driver is necessary to carry out a backup or restore, which is just about everything one would do with Macrium, or it possibly means only if you wish to backup or restore the driver. As it appears to be a valid image probably the latter, but if so the message is unnecessary. Clearly I’ll have to sort this out somehow, but at that stage I moved on.

‘Fix Windows Boot Problems’ was tempting, but i chose ‘Terminate the Win PE session and reboot the computer’

Yesterday the laptop was imaged, which raised a few issues.

It said that no rescue media had been created, and did I wish to do so. Does this mean that a separate rescue disc is necessary for each PC, varying with what’s installed, or was it only because Macrium had just been downloaded and they had no way of knowing that a rescue flash drive had been created? Probably the latter, if what has been produced is a valid image. There was the same message about a missing driver, but this time the device was DEV_0002A.

It also said it would make an XML copy, whatever that may be – will that be on the laptop or the ext. drive? The most surprising for me was the fact that it’s necessary to mount an image with Acronis to access it, but not with Macrium. As mentioned in my previous posting, M was tardy in closing down.

Tomorrow there should be time to install Macrium on the wife’s PC and image it.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2013-12-08 at 16:08. Reason: Clarity

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't see why you it's needed to mount an image in Acronis and not in Macrium. Do you want to clarify?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I don't see why you it's needed to mount an image in Acronis and not in Macrium. Do you want to clarify?
    Rui, I couldn' find any way to examine the files in ATI without mounting, which wasn't so with M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast