Thanks

Delayed / halted startup

I have a USB hub that I use with my laptop to plug in external drives and flash drives when need be. I was using it with an USB extension cable so that it wouldn't be sitting right by the laptop keyboard. Lately though, if I have the hub plugged in by itself, all is fine. But if I use the extension, my laptop gets stuck during startup at the "Press Esc for startup options...".

I though it may just be the hub or extension. It isn't the hub since it works fine alone -- and, if I plug it into the extension AFTER startup, it reads all the peripherals fine.

I tried this with two different extensions, with the same result.

But it was and has been working fine with either / both extensions until the last couple days.

How can I figure out what the issue is and get it working again?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Try plugging it into a different USB port.

Also, what version of USB does your extension wire support? 1.1? 2.0? If your extension wires are old, they may support the old standard. And who knows, maybe an update got installed which is somehow conflicting with USB 1.1.

I'm stabbing in the dark here, but you never know.

Thanks
    Jim, the hub and the cord are both 3.0. I found it though...I think... I ran error-checking on the items plugged in, and now it APPEARS to be OK. Here's hoping!

Thanks,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"