2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Router/Repeater Connection to Strongest WiFi Signal

I have a Cisco EPC3825 Cable Modem/Gateway/Router in the condo I'm staying in with weakish signal (typically -65dBm according to inSSIDer) in the study where my laptop is located. Being in a large condo block (over 300 units) there are heaps of other WiFi networks in the building. Channel 1 has the fewest networks (4 including mine) so the router is set to use that channel to minimize interference.

To improve the signal strength in the study I've located a repeater (ZyXEL 3205) between the Router and the Study and set it up as a Universal Repeater (ZyXEL terminology) with the same SSID & Channel, with the WAP2 security and DCHP provided by the Cisco Router. The repeater signal strength is typically -35dbm in the study.

Now, it doesn't seem to matter what I do, my laptop appears to be connected to the Router rather than the Repeater going by the inSSIDer Network display, and this appears to be consistent with the signal dropouts I'm suffering on my Thinkpad T500, and also on my Samsung Galaxy Win DUOS phone and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.

So my question is: "How can I force connection of my WiFi clients to the stronger signal of my Repeater?"

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try changing the SSID of your router, then choose it as the connection.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Try changing the SSID of your router, then choose it as the connection.

cheers, Paul
    Changing the SSID goes against the grain of recommended practice for maintaining seamless extended coverage - doing that is breaking the WLAN coverage into two coverage areas, thus requiring selection of one or other of the SSIDs as one moves from the Router's coverage area to the Repeater's coverage area.

Also, changing the router SSID and then selecting it does not produce the desired result. When my Laptop is in the study it already selects the Router - the weaker signal, rather than the stronger signal produced by the Repeater.

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 1,022 Posts
    BAB,

You're laptop will not attempt to change the access point as long as it has a useable signal. TTBOMK, you're only option is to disconnect from the weaker signal then let the windows find the stronger signal. Of course this assumes that both networks are in your network list with the passwords saved.

I found this post#3. I don't know if it will work or not but if you're in the mood to test it out have a go.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    BAB,

You're laptop will not attempt to change the access point as long as it has a useable signal. TTBOMK, you're only option is to disconnect from the weaker signal then let the windows find the stronger signal. Of course this assumes that both networks are in your network list with the passwords saved.

I found this post#3. I don't know if it will work or not but if you're in the mood to test it out have a go.
    HTH
    Thanks for the suggestion. WeFi looks interesting. I'll give it a try on my laptop and my Samsung phone for a few days and see how it performs.

Cheers