Thanks

LAN-to-LAN meshing - how to tell if it's working?

This is a fairly complicated question, so please bear with me!

We have two sites, Head Office and Branch Office, whose local LANs are meshed together using Cisco routers and broadband lines, provided by a supplier.

The requirement is that the Branch Office PCs are able to connect to the File Server at Head Office, to map a drive letter to a shared drive on the File Server.

This works fine.

However, the supplier will be ceasing this service in the near future, so we have to install a second broadband line at each office and a new, fairly high-end router, to replicate the LAN-LAN connection. This we have done with Draytek Vigor 2860 routers (not that this matters much!).

We will be running both sets of lines in parallel for a period, following which the supplier's service will cease and we will be on our own with the new broadband lines and routers.

My problem is that I can't think of a way to show that the meshing function on the new lines/routers is working to allow mapping of the Head Office shared drive from the Branch Office PC!

Rather than using the Cisco router's DHCP, by setting up a manual IP address on the Branch Office PC and pointing its Default Gateway IP address at the local router's IP address, I can do
    TRACERT FileServer
    and show that the routing goes from the local Draytek router to a couple more addresses before ending up at the File Server address.

But how do I show that a
    MAP X: \\FileServer\sharename
    command in a Command Prompt window does the same, indicating that we are making use of the Draytek routers' meshing, rather than the Cisco routers' meshing?

Or is this so much simpler than I imagine, and is based entirely on the default gateway IP address set in the Branch Office PC?
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 985 Posts
    Yep, default gateway IP. If it's set to the Draytek it won't go via the Cisco. Check the routes on the PC you set as a test box - route print - to be sure it goes where you expect. It's possible you have a persistent route, but I doubt it.

For that config I would expect you would have static IP on the routers and a VPN between them. Then you don't care what service your ISP provides.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks, Paul!

The static route defined is for the VoIP subnet, so not relevant.

And yes, a static external IP for each router, and the meshing is implemented via 'L2TP over IPsec' VPNs (better than SSL tunnels?).
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 985 Posts
    IPsec is the standard for traffic encryption as it encrypts everything in the packet, where SSL encrypts only the application data.
    Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol means all traffic destinations are inspected and routed as required.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Good - I find L2TP over IPsec easier to set up.
    BATcher

Abraham Lincoln