Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's an ad hoc network?

I'm thinking about getting a Kindle Fire for my girlfriend and in the specs it say's it doesn't support " Ad Hoc ( peer to peer ) networks.
    What does that mean?
    I have a network with 4 computers on it and a WRTG54 Linksys router which my smart phone connects to just fine.
    Thanks for any help

Thanks
    Lumpy,

An ad hoc network is Computer to Computer w/o a router or switch. Thus you can't connect your Kindle Fire directly to your laptop. However, you can, as I do, connect your KF to your network via a wireless router (wi-fi). You can also connect in places that have public wifi. All that said, I have a Eye-Fi card in my camera (SD card with built-in Wi-Fi) and with the associated KF app it connects directly (no Router involved) to allow me to transfer pictures to the KF. Then when I get to a Wi-Fi hot spot I can post on Facebook via the KF to keep my far flung family up-to-date on my travels (I use this overseas where I don't take my phone). It works great IMHO. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-11-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG.
    So it should connect fine to my router just as my phone does. If I understand you correctly Ad Hoc ( peer to peer ) would be a physical connection, which in my case I would be connecting over wi-fi to the router.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Thanks RG.
    So it should connect fine to my router just as my phone does. If I understand you correctly Ad Hoc ( peer to peer ) would be a physical connection, which in my case I would be connecting over wi-fi to the router.
    It's not a physical connection, it's wireless networking without a router. The Kindle Fire should connect to your router without any issues.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-11-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rui.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-11-04)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15, informative link

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well we got the Kindle fire HDX and it connected to the network right away BUT even though it is connected, it can't get an Internet connection to register it or anything else.
    The wireless signal is excellent with a small x next to it.
    Amazon tech support said that even though we are connected, the router isn't allowing the signal back to the Kindle.
    Does anyone know why and what I need to change?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps a DHCP issue? Have a look at 2nd post in Does kindle touch support WPA-2 wi-fi security? thread.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    ...What does that mean?...
    Not much anymore as far as us ordinary folks are concerned.

Basically, "ad hoc" in networking contexts means a network that is built spontaneously as needs arise/change.

These days that definition applies pretty much to any ordinary home network setup.

"Peer-to-peer"? Nowdays it is really questionable to attempt to distinguish between "ad-hoc" and "peer-to-peer" networks, especially for the purposes of home users. An "ad-hoc" network is usually also a "peer-to-peer" network.

If (which I really doubt) the "Kindle Fire" can't connect to the Internet via your (apparently conventional) home network then what the heck use is it?
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Perhaps a DHCP issue? Have a look at 2nd post in Does kindle touch support WPA-2 wi-fi security? thread.

Hope this helps...
    Looks like there are some people who have solved the problems but the guy who changed the DHCP settings on the kindle intrigues me since I can't find anywhere to change those settings on the kindle.
    I have a Linksys WRT54G v.5 (with the last firmware update) router with 3 computers cabled to it and 1 laptop on wireless. I had no trouble whatsoever getting 2 HP wireless printers and my Galaxy S4 to use the router seamlessly.
    I'm really disappointed in this kindle and their tech support could only suggest calling my ISP because it's probably their settings. IMHO I think they are full of crap.

Thanks
    Lumpy,

Does your router have MAC address filtering turned on? If so you need to add the Kindle MAC address into the router using the router software.

Does your router have a Password on the Wireless? If so, you may want to delete it and then see if you can connect.

Or you may want to reset your router to factory settings and start from there to make sure there isn't some setting you have forgotten about.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you disable Airport Mode and did you read through the Tips section in the tutorial I'd linked in Post #6 regarding a software update, or did the Amazon tech people take you through that ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Lumpy,

Does your router have MAC address filtering turned on? If so you need to add the Kindle MAC address into the router using the router software.

Does your router have a Password on the Wireless? If so, you may want to delete it and then see if you can connect.

Or you may want to reset your router to factory settings and start from there to make sure there isn't some setting you have forgotten about.

HTH
    Q: Does your router have MAC address filtering turned on?
    A: It's Disabled
    Q: Does your router have a Password on the Wireless?
    A: Yes, I haven't deleted it yet but may try later although it seems a bit "unsafe".
    Q: Or you may want to reset your router to factory settings and start from there to make sure there isn't some setting you have forgotten about.
    A: I really don't want to go there since I wouldn't know what to reset to what. LOL
    Thanks for the response RG

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Did you disable Airport Mode and did you read through the Tips section in the tutorial I'd linked in Post #6 regarding a software update, or did the Amazon tech people take you through that ?
    Amazon tech didn't mention anything about a software update and I guess I'll have to re-read that post. The software is dated July 2013 ( 13.3.0.5 )
    I read the tips section and basically those were all things tech took me through ( other than not mentioning anything about software updates ). She seemed to think that it is my ISP but I talked to them this morning and there is nothing on their end since everything else connects just fine, the kindle is the only thing that I have ever had a problem with.
    Airport mode is off.
    I tried enabling my SSID and disabling it, made no difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast