New Lounger
    Thanks

Replacement for Network Magic software

Does anyone know of software that does what Network Magic did?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    B.G.,

If you still have your license number/code you can download the software from Cisco/Linksys. It still works on Win 8.1 Pro as well as 8.0 Pro & 7 HP. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

bluegoose1776 (2013-12-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do have my license key. However, I had to reinstall Network Magic. Because Cisco/Linksys took down the Network Magic web site, the license key cannot be validated, and therefore will not complete the install. So now I am looking for software that will do what Network Magic did for me before.

Thanks
    B.G.,

That's interesting since I just installed NM on my Win 8.1 Pro box about a month ago and had no problem.
    NetworkMagic.JPG
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-12-06 at 07:11.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using Network Magic Pro v5.5?

Thanks
    B.G.,

NetworkMagic.JPG
    Well It appears NOT! I thought I had activated it but alas not!
    MRAdvanced.JPG
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-12-06 at 13:46.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear that. I was hoping you had a workaround version of the software. The search goes on.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Abandonware

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose1776 View Post
    Does anyone know of software that does what Network Magic did?
    When software is no longer supported by the publisher it's called abandonware.

I suggest anyone who has network magic and needs to validate it do what I am going to do. Call Cisco and ask how you get it going. When they tell you they no longer support it, tell them you don't want support, just let you use it. Point out that, when you bought it the only restriction was, 8 computers with NM on your router at one time. No time limit, no limits on how long you could use it, and no restriction on reinstalling. There wasn't even a restriction on how many computers you could install it on, only a limit of 8 on your router. Get rid of one and replace it, on the same router, and you were within the limits the software set.

If enough of us complain we may just get them to come up with an open registration, just put in a serial number and off you go. Or make it public domain, I don't care, I just want my network magic to run.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've heard this is a good alternative to Network Magic [haven't tried it yet]:
    http://alternativeto.net/software/spiceworks/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobklahn View Post
    When software is no longer supported by the publisher it's called abandonware.

I suggest anyone who has network magic and needs to validate it do what I am going to do. Call Cisco and ask how you get it going. When they tell you they no longer support it, tell them you don't want support, just let you use it. Point out that, when you bought it the only restriction was, 8 computers with NM on your router at one time. No time limit, no limits on how long you could use it, and no restriction on reinstalling. There wasn't even a restriction on how many computers you could install it on, only a limit of 8 on your router. Get rid of one and replace it, on the same router, and you were within the limits the software set.

If enough of us complain we may just get them to come up with an open registration, just put in a serial number and off you go. Or make it public domain, I don't care, I just want my network magic to run.
    I was also searching for the download and frustrated to find they've discontinued it. Seems wrong that I'm not able to continue using what I paid for. I will definitely file a complaint with Cisco and hope it helps us resolve this. I really don't want to start over with something else, very inconvenient.