4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need to find an app for batch numbering photos

I have a lot of photos (about 2000) from my last trip. I renamed them (i.e., overwrote the camera numbers with a more descriptive title - hell of a lot of work), then batch numbered them (while retaining the descriptive text) using IrfanView.

Now, after selective culling of the photos to a reasonable number for showing (about 650 photos), I would like to re-number them again (to eliminate gaps in the numbers), without losing the text description. I find that I can no longer do this using IrfanView, because it considers the original numbers along with the descriptive text as part of the title, and simply appends new numbers to the front end.

Do you know of any application (preferably freeware) that will allow me to do a batch renumbering of my slides, and keep the descriptive text while allowing me to replace the existing numbers?

I'd appreciate any help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found something quite a while ago...I don't remember where I got it...called Bulk Rename Utility. And I use it for exactly that reason. Very useful and versatile.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mccornwall and veegertx, thank you for your reply.
    I've downloaded the file and will install and try it later today, but it seems, from the description at the site, that this is exactly what I'm looking for.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I tried the program.
    It was a VERY difficult learning curve for me, and I probably will resist using it in the future, but after MUCH trial and error, figured out how to get it to do what I wanted.
    I wanted my files renumbered from 001 to 635, but the program hated leading zeroes, and tried to default to 1 to 635.
    I had to use multiple passes, one to remove the original numbers and renumber from 1 to 635, and then work on the files 10 at a time to change the leading digits and/or add zeroes. Honestly, I can't remember the steps I had to take, but it was purely trial and error.
    I'm gonna un-install this baby - too much effort for what I gained.
    Thanks for the suggestion - I DID accomplish what I wanted.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    normally I just select all in a folder and select rename on 1st file but they end up like this
    My Trip 2012 (1).jpg
    My Trip 2012 (2).jpg
    My Trip 2012 (3).jpg

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    veegertx,

Here's an example of what I was trying to do:

If I have files named
    009 Text abc.jpg
    016 Text def.jpg
    032 Text ghi.jpg
    I want to be able to batch renumber them so that the new titles would be
    001 Text abc.jpg
    002 Text def.jpg
    003 Text ghi.jpg

In other words, just change the number part of the filename, but leave the text part as it was.
    The problem was with replacing the leading numbers. If I just renamed the files, the original numbers would have been kept as part of the text, rather than be replaced with new numbers.

I was able to eventually accomplish this, but it was nowhere near as simple as you've described.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are things will do that but are harder to use like Pfrank or Rename Master
    I used to have a sweet little program was real small and done everything real easy but can't remember name and I looked but no longer have since I don't do Mirc in a long time

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used Bulk rename Utility many times in the past. It is very powerful. Like most powerful programs it requires a little experience to learn. Once you get use to it you will really like it.
    I conducted the following experiment.
    I copied 3 jpg files into New Folder. Then renamed the 3 files:
    009 Text abc.jpg
    016 Text def.jpg
    032 Text ghi.jpg

Then opened the folder with Bulk rename utility. Next mouse select all 3 files to operate on. Now in the "Remove (5)" column, I said remove the 1st three. The New Name display column in the display window now shows the 1st 3 chars will be removed.
    Move over to the "Numbering (10)" column. Scroll the "Mode" to prefix. Set "Start" at 1. Set "Pad" at 3.
    Now click "Rename".

Walla.
    I now have 3 files named:
    001 Text abc.jpg
    002 Text def.jpg
    003 Text ghi.jpg

Numbering can be either prefix or suffix. The leading zeros are created by setting the Pad value. Once you get used to it, it really is powerful.
    Michael