New Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing MBs and system drives on two Win 8.1 systems.

Hi,

I have two Win 8.1 systems, both home built. The older of the two needs more horsepower but the other PC is the one that gets the most amount and types of use and should logically be the more powerful of the two. The newer PC is a Sandy Bridge and I want to basically take the MB/CPU from it and install them in the older PC and retire it's old MB/CPU. I have a new ASUS Z87 MB and Haswell CPU to put into the newer PC. I also ordered an Intel 530 to be the system drive in the newer PC but it apparently got lost in shipping which complicates matters because the new MB has a rebate and I need to get it running before mailing the rebate in case it needs replacing for any reason.

I'm looking for any input on how best to accomplish the following:

1. Replace just the MB/CPU in the primary PC without reinstalling Windows and all the apps.

2. Basically doing the same with the second PC using the MB/CPU previously in the first PC.

3. Either before or after #2 (depending on when the SSD ever gets here), replace the system drive in the primary PC with the Intel 530 without reinstalling Windows and all the apps.

TIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    You should create an image of your system with a imaging app that allows restore to different hardware. You then create an image of each system before replacing the hardware and then follow the app recommendations to restore to different hardware. This may or may not work, though.

Acronis True Image Premium 2014 allows for his. There will be Macrium Reflect and Ease US Todo versions that allow the same.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    H.D.

You state that these machines were built by you. Did you use the OEM Windows License? If so you may not be able to transfer the licenses to the rebuilt machines.
    OEM License transfer. There is a link on the linked page to ask questions. I would highly suggest this to make sure that Windows will pass Activation on the rebuilt machines. I'm just sayin'.... HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    For me, the question would be, what constitutes a different computer?

If he replaces only the motherboard and CPU, has he actually changed computers, or has he just changed some components in the same computer?

If it was up to me, he could replace all parts except one, and it would still be the same computer. Then, if he waits a short time and replaces the remaining part, it's still the same computer.

I'm guessing that Microsoft would disagree with me on this.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, Microsoft singles out the motherboard rightly so as the "heart" of the system. The little loophole is a defective motherboard that needed replacement; so if a capacitor was to explode in a defective manner on the old motherboard...

If they are both OEM though, a double swap looks suspicious. In that case it would greatly simplify things if the OS went with the mobo and CPU to the older system, that only constitutes changing cases, not PCs, unless the two installs are quite different from one another already and it would be a hardship to build one up from scratch again.

Thanks
    If just the motherboard and CPU are replaced, the HD will still contain the original OS installation. Perhaps it will remain activated. If not, I would think a call to MS would remedy the situation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. Because I'm cheap and because I found reports of people just swapping out the MB and CPU without any migration steps, I thought I would try that first. So I backed up the system partition for PC #1 (Sandy Bridge) replaced the MB, installed the Haswell, moved the memory to the new MB and fired it up. It booted just fine after automatically installing numerous drivers that must have been on the old system drive already because I didn't have an Ethernet connection at my work table. I could see both sets of drivers (old configuration and new) for just about everything in Device Manager (show hidden) so I manually uninstalled all the old drivers just on principals but may speed up boot time.

Windows (8.1 Pro with Media Center) was no longer activated but that just took a few minutes over the phone with MS' automated system.

I assume it will be about the same for PC #2.

Not sure if I'll have to go thru the reactivation again on PC 1 when I move to the SSD. Newegg's latest but constantly changing story for why my drive never left the warehouse on Tuesday is now because of a weather advisory in TN on Friday afternoon. Their support people desperately need some remedial BS training. LoL

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Well, that was a good enough try .

I should have mentioned I had a pretty similar experience a few years, that additionally included a new disk. So I restored an image, the imaging version I had didn't account for restoration to different hardware, but the machine just booted "normally".

Regarding the SSD, last year I replaced a HDD by a SSD, laptop running Windows 8, and no reactivation of Windows was needed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Thanks everyone. Because I'm cheap and because I found reports of people just swapping out the MB and CPU without any migration steps, I thought I would try that first. So I backed up the system partition for PC #1 (Sandy Bridge) replaced the MB, installed the Haswell, moved the memory to the new MB and fired it up. It booted just fine after automatically installing numerous drivers that must have been on the old system drive already because I didn't have an Ethernet connection at my work table. I could see both sets of drivers (old configuration and new) for just about everything in Device Manager (show hidden) so I manually uninstalled all the old drivers just on principals but may speed up boot time.

Windows (8.1 Pro with Media Center) was no longer activated but that just took a few minutes over the phone with MS' automated system.

I assume it will be about the same for PC #2.

Not sure if I'll have to go thru the reactivation again on PC 1 when I move to the SSD. Newegg's latest but constantly changing story for why my drive never left the warehouse on Tuesday is now because of a weather advisory in TN on Friday afternoon. Their support people desperately need some remedial BS training. LoL
    That was my thought in my first post, #6. Since you are using the original HD, the OS is still there ready to go. Yes, many of the system drivers would need replacing, but since Windows does, as you found out, have a plethora of drivers, the new drivers loaded automatically. Good idea to remove the old drivers. That way you do not chance a miss-match. I have had to phone MS a couple of times to reactivate after similar changes. Glad everything worked for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: I don't use Modern apps on a daily basis. The first time I tried to use one I discovered none of them would run. I don't recall the exact wording of the message but it was generic and useless. Anyway, I found an option in the Store for re-syncing all apps. I used it and they all work now. I'm just posting this for anyone else looking to replace a MB/Processor who stumbles on this thread.