Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reading old Thunderbird emails.

I had a major glitch with XP back in the spring and realising that it was possibly because I should have migrated to a new HD long before, I put in a new HD and re-installed everything; nice shiney new system.

The old HD does continue to run and I'm gently as I require transferring info from its Data partition to the new Data partition.

Now I'm still using Thunderbird and I know in the 'old' Thunderbird files, which I think I can still see, there is some programming lines I want. How can I get to read the 'old' "Computing" folder which I've found on what is now the 'E' drive?

Thanks for any assistance

Rob

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If it were me, if I haven't yet "wiped" the old drive, I'd reinstall the old hard drive, and I'd clone everything from the old to the new drive.

I'd then remove the old drive and be completely up and running with the new drive.

If at least one of your drives is a Seagate drive, you can go to www.seagate.com and download their free DiscWizard software to do the cloning.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    If it were me, if I haven't yet "wiped" the old drive, I'd reinstall the old hard drive, and I'd clone everything from the old to the new drive.

I'd then remove the old drive and be completely up and running with the new drive.

If at least one of your drives is a Seagate drive, you can go to www.seagate.com and download their free DiscWizard software to do the cloning.
    Thanks for replying, JimP, - I clearly didn't explain the situation adequately. Back in May, XP gave up on me; I tried AV and malware, etc, but it wouldn't operate, so I reckoned on an HD sector failure or something, and went the route of a new HD and a system and applications rebuild.

The old HD is still in place as a source of data from some 8 years back on now drive H. I've found the Thunderbird folders I want on the old System partition, now drive E, and it those that I want to be able to read.

A thought; would this work? I rename the old folder I want to say "Old_computing" and copy it across to where the current 'Computing' folder for Thunderbird is on the 'C: System' drive.

Rob

Edit
    Later ! Yep that works as long as the .msi file is copied too. Sadly I hadn't filed the email where I should have done though !
    Last edited by oldwood; 2013-12-07 at 09:30. Reason: That works !

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The plug-in ImportExportTools allows you to import old TB data and directories. I've used it to recover old mail off another computer by copying the TB data folders to a temporary directory on the new computer and then importing.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems like it's too late for you, but next time you change computers you should just backup your Thunderbird "Profile Folder" and restore it to the new Thunderbird installation. This will include all your folders and messages as well as settings and preferences and address book(s).

If you are comfortable with copying files and folders you can manually back up your profile. This just involves copying a single directory to a backup location. Most of the work is in finding where the profile folder is stored.

Go to Help > Troubleshooting Information, and where it says Profile Directory, click the 'Open Containing Folder' button. That is the Profile Folder, it's name is 8 random characters.default, ie xxxxxxxx.default. It's may be easier to see/copy if you go up one level.

Close Thunderbird and copy this folder to somewhere safe and you've backed up everything. You can restore it to any computer and TB will come up just as you left it.

See Profile Backup.
    and Moving your profile to another computer.
    and Move to a new PC.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    At risk of going off-topic: is there any e-mail client that does not insist on "hiding" mail folders in a deep & obscure location. There should be a universal rule that they are placed in "drive:\Mail\"

This way they are easy to find and back-up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
    At risk of going off-topic: is there any e-mail client that does not insist on "hiding" mail folders in a deep & obscure location. There should be a universal rule that they are placed in "drive:\Mail\"

This way they are easy to find and back-up.
    Outlook allows you to put its .pst mail file anywhere you want it. Mine is in D:\mail .

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    That is what backups are for.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can move the Thunderbird Profile Folder to anywhere you'd like. I keep both my Firefox and Thunderbird profile folders in D:\Mozilla Profiles.

This explains several ways to move it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had very good luck using Mozbackup to save both Thunderbird and Firefox profiles for years with no problems.

[URL="mozbackup.jasnapaka.com"]