Thanks

Document defaults to Word 6 format

I created a new extension -- kap. I associated it to Word 2010, and added it to the ShellNew list.

Everything seems to work fine, but...

If I set up a new document on the desktop with the extension, it opens fine with with Word 2010 when double-clicked, but when I go to save it it wants to save it in Word 6 format.

Why?

Once I do a Save As and selected Word 2010, it opens and saves correctly. Why is it doing this? Where would I look for the problem?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Chuck

Have a look at File > Options > Save > Save files in this format:

What is that set to?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Andrew, .docx

Chuck

Andrew, here's the link to the process I used:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9...n-in-windows-7 It's the third one on the page.

I cannot recall, but I think I then went to "Default Programs" and associated the file with Word 2010.

CB
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2014-06-10 at 19:21.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I recall Word 6 was part of Office 4.5 of about mid-'90s. Word 2007 and 2010 retains support for Word 97-2003 .doc format as do Word 2008 and 2011 for Mac OS X. Sometimes it's not possible to convince programs to use file extensions beyond what they were written for. Sometimes very different programs will use the same extension, e.g. .ged is used by genealogy programs and by Arts & Letters Express [formerly Graphics Editor].

Thanks
    Just to make sure I checked "everything", I went back and set up an extension -- dbpost -- that I was pretty sure no other program had. I went through all the steps, and everything appeared OK. Everything was associated OK through Default Programs.

Then I set up a "New Document" using NirSoft's filetypesman. It worked and showed fine in the context menu.

But,

When I created a new document on the desktop and double-clicked it, it opened fine in Word 2010. But, when I went to save it, it asked again about Word 6.

It ain't the end of the world, because I can say "No" there, and then the save menu comes up and the format is Word (docx) -- but with the Word docx extension, so then I have to go back and change it again.

It just bugs me that I cannot figure out what causes this. Any time something happens that is unexpected and unexplainable, the possibility other hidden issues always is lurking in the background.

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2014-06-10 at 23:45. Reason: forgot something