New Lounger
    Thanks

what can be done about catastrophic loss of Microsoft software?

On 11 June a massive fire in Black Forest Colorado destroyed about 500 homes, including mine, and vast forestland.

I lost all my vast amount of Microsoft Software Media and the many computers they resided on. All my documentation of the purchases of these were lost as well. Various Microsoft programs since 1993 I had and used such as many Windows licenses, numerous versions of Office, including Access and Visio. All of these were activated/registered with Microsoft so they should have a record of this.

Is there any way to work with Microsoft and replace at least some of this without having to buy it all over again? I have already paid so much for this vast amount of software and since those licenses were not time limited I should be able to get them replaced.

Any advice or Microsoft contact would be helpful.

thanks
    rich painter

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I doubt it if you don't have your serial #s.

1) I know its after the fact but for future reference, keep serial numbers backed up on a jumpdrive. I keep mine in my pocket at all times. I use TrueCrypt and password protect a file on the disk with all my software and keys within it. 32GB
    I also have a copy on a third usb drive locked away in a fireproof safe. But if it gets hot enough that will probably be ruined. Reason for my stuff on jumpdrive
    2) These days Cloud storage like even free skydrive or something else.
    EDIT: I'd use Truecrypt to password protect a file I store on there to keep others out.
    Last edited by veegertx; 2013-12-07 at 05:09.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi oldunixguy and welcome to the Lounge,

I am sorry about your situation. I don't think Microsoft keeps detailed licensing information on what customers bought, especially if not bought directly from them, but you can always try. Here is a link to their customer services: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cont...mer_serv?&fr=1

The only way to minimize or avoid a situation such as the one you described, is to keep offsite backups of your valuable data. This can be achieved either through offsite physical copies of backup media or through cloud storage. I don't keep physical copies off site, but all my relevant info (which includes Microsoft apps keys) is kept in the cloud - I use Microsoft OneNote for this, so I actually keep one copy on SkyDrive and another (possible multiple copies, since provider uses versioning) on Cubby, my cloud backup provider.

I sincerely hope Microsoft can be of help.

Regards
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    @oldunixguy, welcome to the Lounge.

I added all my keys to my LastPass info screen. Since this is in the cloud, it works for me. Plus I have a notepad file in Skydrive with all those same keys. Does not hurt to have backups of your storage.

You might be on the phone with MS and others for a while trying to get everything back, which I suspect will not be possible for many of the older apps and data. Good luck with the restoration.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
    I had many backups and images in fire safes but they did not survive. I had non-microsoft software on usb drives and had those with me and thus saved... except for all the MS software licenses and media. And if you have every had a catastophic loss you would know that insurance falls dramatically short for so many reasons I cant list here. Just ask we 500 families who lost our homes in part or total. I will try the MS customer service link provided.

by the way, I have been getting the windowssecrets, officewatch, etc newsletters almost since inception. I just never joined this forum until now.
    thanks for the replies.
    rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldunixguy View Post
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
    I had many backups and images in fire safes but they did not survive. I had non-microsoft software on usb drives and had those with me and thus saved... except for all the MS software licenses and media. And if you have every had a catastophic loss you would know that insurance falls dramatically short for so many reasons I cant list here. Just ask we 500 families who lost our homes in part or total. I will try the MS customer service link provided.

by the way, I have been getting the windowssecrets, officewatch, etc newsletters almost since inception. I just never joined this forum until now.
    thanks for the replies.
    rich
    I am sorry for the tragedy that struck your life and the lives of all those affected by the fire. I hope you can overcome all the difficulties resulting from that terrible event.
    Rui
    -------
    R4