New Lounger
    Thanks

ReImage or Efix or is the cure worse than the disease?

Reimage and Efix advertise on the Windows Secrets Newsletter. Just wondering about the experiences out there in computerland in using the product. I can believe that the computer program will always find "registry errors" or other problems for it to fix. to get you to pay for the yearly fee.

Yet, this program sounds too good to be true. Because of the time saved in renewing vs doing a clean install of everything.

Classic Rock fan

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    An advert present in the newsletter is not an endorsement by Windows Secrets.

I remember a couple users here expressing satisfaction with Reimage. Personally, I am always very skeptical of such programs and a decent backup regimen based on images can go a long way helping you avoid the need for such things. Keeping a baseline image of a good system and then keeping subsequent updated images will allow you to recover from any situation where one of these would be potentially useful. Of course, this is just my opinion.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One should always mention that one should only try these things with a working image backup so you can restore the image if things do not go as planned. This I noticed is also true for installing Windows updates. (excluding Security Essentials).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Yes, indeed. I always image before Windows Updates. I delay updating to keep it synced with my weekly imaging schedule.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I only now saw this post. I have used Reimage 40+ times on about as many PCs.
    1. It can fix many issues including the replacement of missing or corrupt registry keys and missing or corrupt OS files.
    2. It does not fix everything like issues involving 3rd party software files, or reg keys; 3rd party hardware or software drivers; corrupt sectors on the hard drive and many blue screen issues.
    3. It can help clean up an infected PC.
    4. On occasion it can fix one set of problems and create new ones.
    5. It does let you revert changes if you have a problem that was not solved or if Reimage created a new problem. With some effort you can be refunded for the failed repair attempt.
    6. I found that Reimage generally takes about 45 to 60 minutes to perform a repair.

Analysis: Reimage is not like registry cleaners (which I consider little more than snake oil). It can and does replace missing or corrupt registry keys, which, as you know, an XP repair install does not. It does replace missing or corrupt OS files. Therefore, it can be a real life saver, if the problem lies with the OS. However, if you are an average layman just trying to get your PC repaired and you try Reimage, your chance of success is about 50% because of the things I previously mentioned that Reimage will not fix. If as a tech you gain experience as to what type of problems can be repaired by Reimage, then your percentage of success should go up.

Recommendation: I have mixed feelings about Reimage. Like I hinted at, it can be the very solution you are looking for. It can also be a lot of time invested without success and then spending more time getting your refund. When it works, it's great and when it doesn't, well ....

I fully agree with previous posters that the best way to avoid problems is with frequent image backups of your hard drive. There are also newer software applications like Rollback RX or AX64 which can make almost instantaneous backups to your main drive or external drive (I recommend external for obvious reasons). This would allow you to recover from almost any disaster much more quickly than traditional backup images. IMO one of these methods is way better than using Reimage, but if you haven't taken such precautions and your skittish about a repair install or clean install and don't want to reload all your apps and restore data, then Reimage might just be worth a try.
    Last edited by Aragorn3; 2014-02-13 at 14:21. Reason: errata