Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

windows 8 apps won't open

Today some of my windows 8 apps started acting strangely (in windows 8.1). When I click on certain of the tiles, the app starts to open and then reverts to the start screen. Apparently the app is still partly open, because when I move the mouse to the upper left corner, the thumbnail of it appears. If I click on it, I get the opening screen (the colored one with just the logo), and then it clicks back to the start screen, and the app never completely opens. I first noticed this with Microsoft Solitaire collection, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and now it works fine. However, the same behavior is exhibited by several of the other apps, such as Travel, Finance, and New York Times. Reading List also acted like this for a short time and now is working ok. Rebooting the computer didn't help. Any idea what's going on?

Fafner

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Fafner,

I'd head over the the MS Store and update all your apps to make sure you have the latest versions. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Probably the easiest way out is to install any misbehaving apps again, since a reboot didn't fix it. From time to time, I get one app not responding, but a reboot usually fixes it. You can also try to kill the rogue apps from Task Manager and then try to restart them. It solves some problems, sometimes.

One of the things that annoys me in 8.1 is apps not closing when you drag them down, as it happened with 8.0. Not sure why they did this, doesn't seem a smart thing to do.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In windows 8.1, as opposed to 8, the apps keep themselves updated, and manual updating isn't an option. Closing them with task manager doesn't help, either. They still don't open. It seems I have the option to uninstall and reinstall them, but why did so many of them start doing this all at once?

Fafner

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I don't have an answer for that. You can try and open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow and see if it helps.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post

One of the things that annoys me in 8.1 is apps not closing when you drag them down, as it happened with 8.0. Not sure why they did this, doesn't seem a smart thing to do.
    Rui, once you drag the app to the bottom of the screen to close it, are you holding it there until the icon changes? Don't understand why Microsoft made this additional change to make closing an app just a little more difficult. They do claim closing apps is not necessary because they supposedly release resources when not active but some of us prefer to be sure .

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2013-12-07)

Administrator
    Thanks
    I had the impression that when doing that, the process wouldn't disappear from the list of running processes. I had tried it before, but it seems I wasn't patient enough to wait the necessary time for the process to die. I tried it now, while I was replying here and I confirm the process does die, but it seems it is a slow death .

Thanks for making me have a look at that again.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafner View Post
    In windows 8.1, as opposed to 8, the apps keep themselves updated, and manual updating isn't an option. Closing them with task manager doesn't help, either. They still don't open. It seems I have the option to uninstall and reinstall them, but why did so many of them start doing this all at once?

Fafner
    With the store open go to the charms bar and select settings and then "app updates". You can manually check for app updates there. You can also turn off automatic app updating there. If you turn automatic updating off it reverts to the Windows 8.0 method of notifying you via the store tile that updates are available.

Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Fafner (2013-12-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for this tip. I think I knew that but forgot it. However, the strange behavior of some of my apps still stands. I am able to fix by uninstalling and reinstalling, but the geek in me wants to know why this (i.e. failing to open) is happening to so many of my apps.

Fafner

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you looked at the Windows Event logs?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's an error report in the Event logs for each time I tried and failed to open one of the apps. To pick one at random (they all have similar details):

Faulting application name: wwahost.exe, version: 6.3.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x521571bd
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16408, time stamp: 0x523d45f2
    Exception code: 0x00000004
    Fault offset: 0x00011aa0
    Faulting process id: 0x1b00
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cef364ebf8038c
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwahost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 29ae18c8-5f58-11e3-afe8-0019d179608c
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.BingFinance_3.0.1.299_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Fafner

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Several days after my last post, the problem has become worse. Before, I could fix the apps by uninstalling them and then reinstalling them. This no longer works. After reinstallation, they still won't open. The opening logo screen appears for a moment, then the app closes. It still seems to be running in the background, because it shows up in Task Manager, but there is no way to open it so it appears on the screen. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Fafner

Thanks
    Try the apps trouble shooter. The link to it is in the first paragraph on this page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...t-problems-app

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry. I ran the troubleshooter. It says it detected problems, but the apps still don't work. The text of the troubleshooter message is as follows:

The troubleshooter made some changes to your system. Try attempting the task you were trying to do before.

Problems found
    Some security settings are missing or have been changed. Detected

(When I mouse-over the last line, a pop-up reads, "Some apps might not have access to the required sources." When I click on More Details, the message says that security settings were reset. No other problems were found.)

I should also say that the apps that don't work are all Bing apps: News, Finance, and Travel. Other installed apps have either been repaired successfully by reinstalling or have always worked.

Fafner
    Last edited by Fafner; 2013-12-13 at 08:57. Reason: additional information added

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Having the exact same issue. Just the Bing apps at this point. I had not run any Microsoft updates since getting my Pro 2 a couple months ago. Recently I installed all the updates and went through the torrid of issues that others encountered as well. I researched through all of them (wifi not working, plug-in devices not working, not being able to boot or restart, etc). Then I got the point where the only remaining issue was that some apps wouldn't open but after uninstalling and reinstalling, they worked... except for Bing apps. So now I'm at the mercy of those that know much more than my novice self.

Fafner, same boat and hope someone can assist. If you figure it out on your own, please share.

I do find it ironic that it is the Bing apps that are failing.

Thanks, Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast