New Lounger
    Thanks

Making OL open a different e-mail (OL98)

I suspect my Outlook has received an e-mail with virus attachment. (Not this PC, another one *grin*)
    My antivirus system is preventing any damage, but Outlook has got itself into a no-win, can't proceed situation. I normally work with a preview panel on, and the pointer to the high-lighted inbox e-mail has got itself pointed to ....... the suspect e-mail, with the result that OL tries to fire it up in the preview pane before it listens to my frantic mouse clicking, and OL then freezes with an illegal operation and the only option is to shut down. [On re-opening OL, please go to the top of the paragraph again, etc..]

I tried removing the current inbox in an attempt to get OL to remember a new set of opening defaults, but NBG. I must assume that the defaults settings (preview on/off, which e-mail to highlight) are stored in the PST. Inbox repair tool found, and did, nothing. There's supposed to be a command line switch

blablaoutlook /select "blablablayour_outlook_file.pst"

to force it to open another folder and allow me to creep up behind the recalcitrant e-mail, but it won't play. I just get a helpful "Outlook cannot create item". Does anyone have any suggestions, please? I'd rather not have to revert to my backup PST if I can avoid it. Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Making OL open a different e-mail (OL98)

Hi MDB,

Not sure about the /select switch you have already tried to use, but there is another one that you might like to try. I know that this one works quite well with Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2002, but I have not had the oppourtunity to try it out on Outlook 98 yet.

If you run Outlook from Start-Run, or create a shortcut to it on your desktop, try putting the switch /nopreview after it. This makes the Preview Pane unavailable within Outlook and should hopefully stop the program from locking up before you have a chance to rectify any problems.

Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Making OL open a different e-mail (OL98)

Barry:

For the record, /nopreview works beautifully on OL98. Problem solved with no loss of data. Many thanks.

- Mike -