Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying a folder from C: drive to external hard drive

When I copy a folder from my Crive to my External Hard Drive for a second time, Windows8 does not give me an option if I want to replace/overwrite the old files as in Windows7 and earlier versions

Is there a setting on Windows 8 that I need to change or how do I overcome this?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    And, you need to overcome that......why?

What are you trying to do, that it won't do?

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    There is an easy solution for that, Howard: http://www.pcworld.com/article/20380...rs-option.html
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply

When copying a files I want to be able to overwite the old file or give the option to create a duplicate. Rui has kindly provided me with a link to do this

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rui

Thanks for the information, its was a simple solution

Howard

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome, Howard.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HC, hello. Is this Rui not a fine person ?
    I have a very simple solution to your demand, before saving it to the USB HD, do a Save as : and add a figure -2 or -3 as needed to the file name. You then will end up with as many redundant copies of the same file. Going into "Properties" will give you the date that it was saved.
    Your question also brings up in my mind, why people here will do Image instead of Clone ? I can not to save my soul, see the necessity of saving more than one example of my handy work. Any previous image or clone is history to me, ie: not required. I am really different. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also copy to an external HD from my C: drive. I use FreeFileSync, a portable application. It can copy NEW files, OVERWRITE changed files, and DELETE old files [no longer on the C: drive] . It's free and dependable. Here's a link http://www.portablefreeware.com/inde...reefilesync&m=

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Your question also brings up in my mind, why people here will do Image instead of Clone ? I can not to save my soul, see the necessity of saving more than one example of my handy work. Any previous image or clone is history to me, ie: not required. I am really different. Jean.
    That's what I do for a friend and for dear old Mum. It's a good strategy in certain situations where data doesn't change too frequently or is not too copious and is all contained on a single drive eh? It doesn't hold up so well in more complicated and multiple system, multiple drive strategies; organized data backup becomes the most important thing above making images or cloning.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    That's what I do for a friend and for dear old Mum. It's a good strategy in certain situations where data doesn't change too frequently or is not too copious and is all contained on a single drive eh? It doesn't hold up so well in more complicated and multiple system, multiple drive strategies; organized data backup becomes the most important thing above making images or cloning.
    Clone as a regular backup strategy has a "big" problem, IMO - it gives you one fallback point, only. Why would you "waste" disk resources like that and limit your recovery options?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, hello. -18.8° C here today.
    My important Acer gets a double clone when I do it. This to satisfy your need for security in numbers. On top of this, I have never ( touch wood ) had a USB HD go bad on me. Your point is very valid, I know, it all comes down to the human being, doing what one is used to !

I have not yet worked on that "KriptoLocker" machine yet, I will let you know. Friend that revitalize a KriptoLocker machine is a true friend ! Be good. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    -21.1 C here, but its begun to warm up a bit now, suppose to only be -5 to -10 for a while!
    Ya, I only use clone (that is not put into use right away) for singular systems out of my daily control, they might only get another clone in 6 to 12 months, lost data in the meanwhile, tough hop. It's more to protect the system configuration I placed on there originally so I never have to build up approximately 210 gigs of OS and programs from scratch.

I show them where to put backup data separately and if they do, they do, if they don't, they don't.
    Recovery of the system would only consist of me removing the data connector from the bad drive and connecting it to the cloned drive. Neither would have a clue if I told them to get out a boot disc and find a backup image in such and such a location, etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Rui, hello. -18.8° C here today.
    My important Acer gets a double clone when I do it. This to satisfy your need for security in numbers. On top of this, I have never ( touch wood ) had a USB HD go bad on me. Your point is very valid, I know, it all comes down to the human being, doing what one is used to !

I have not yet worked on that "KriptoLocker" machine yet, I will let you know. Friend that revitalize a KriptoLocker machine is a true friend ! Be good. Jean.
    Hi Jean,

13ºC here, with light rain threatening.

Yes, we often do what we are used to, but sometimes gains can be obtained from leaving our comfort zone .

Just teasing a bit, what really matters is that we have a strategy in place to protect (above all) our data.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    -21.1 C here, but its begun to warm up a bit now, suppose to only be -5 to -10 for a while!
    Ya, I only use clone (that is not put into use right away) for singular systems out of my daily control, they might only get another clone in 6 to 12 months, lost data in the meanwhile, tough hop. It's more to protect the system configuration I placed on there originally so I never have to build up approximately 210 gigs of OS and programs from scratch.

I show them where to put backup data separately and if they do, they do, if they don't, they don't.
    Recovery of the system would only consist of me removing the data connector from the bad drive and connecting it to the cloned drive. Neither would have a clue if I told them to get out a boot disc and find a backup image in such and such a location, etc.
    Wow, that's cold. Fortunately, here it rarely goes below -2º or -3º. Being near the Atlantic, I also don't ever get anything that looks like snow.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Anyone mind if we take this out a little further?
    I have my Maxtor External Harddrive connected to my router, and it shows up / works in File Explorer just fine. I also installed a 64GB Mini SD card. Storage problems obviously not a problem.
    I'm running 81. RT. and when I do a "Save As" I get the options to save it to one of two SkyDrive Accounts, Computer, and +Add A Place. When I click (press) on the Add A Place it brings up the option to save it to another place, but those are Office 365 SharePoint, and SkyDrive? If I press on Computer, I can by pressing on Browse end up in File Explorer and choose either the Maxtor, or the SD Card. Can I add either to the Add A Place, or at least make them a little more accessible.

Thanks
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast