Thanks

How do I recover crashed .exe file?

I have a locknote.exe file with some important information in it. Locknote is a self encrypting text file. You type something in, supply a new "filename" and password when you save it and your information is AES 256 bit encrypted. To open it you just execute the file and type in the password. It's very handy for certain things.

Yesterday evening I closed it, answered yes to Save? and went to bed. This morning I tried to open it and got a weird error saying that it was not compatible with my version of windows. I went and looked at it and saw that it had zero size! In a panic I went to look for the backups (I back it up to two different drives twice a day) and they were zero, too. One of the backups happens when I logout and my zero size file overwrote the backups, too. (Yeah, I learned from this.)

I searched my whole system in case there was at least an older copy so I wouldn't lose everything and found a dump file. In doing so I found filename.exe.6720.dump

Apparently a dump was made of the file when it crashed. I tried just removing the .6720.dump from the filename and executing it, but that didn't work. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to recover my file from this dump?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Backspacer; 2013-12-08 at 15:50.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would try "previous versions" to see if you can recover an old version.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Now here's something strange: I update this file almost daily and it gets backed up twice a day and yet the most recent "previous version" is dated 5-23-13. I went and looked and my system protection is turned off. And I sure didn't do it. For Pete's sake, can't anything in Windows just work without all this constant fussing and updating and fixing and so on? I used to be a systems engineer back in the '80s and early '90s, leaving high tech in 1993 and I would have thought that 20 years later things would be more reliable with less effort. I worked with Unix, but I bet the current versions of that OS aren't that much better than Windows or people would be switching to it in droves.

OK. I'm calm.

So is there any way to take a crash dump and turn it back into a usable executable?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspacer View Post
    So is there any way to take a crash dump and turn it back into a usable executable?
    A dump file is not really the executable. It usually contains the state of an application at the moment the crash occurred. I suggest you contact the manufacturer of the program you are using, maybe they can provide help.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Allow me to suggest the free version of Cubby, which will allow you to store up to 5GB of data for free in the cloud. Cubby is by LogMeIn, a respected company that has been provided remote access tools for a long while.

Why do I recommend it? Cubby will upload automatically every new file version as they are changed. It also allows you to keep as many versions of each file as you want, within your available space. I guess it would be invaluable to you. Just a few days ago it also saved me the need to write a whole piece of intricate code I lost due to an editing mistake.

I know it's not of much help for the current situation, but can be for the future.
    Rui
    -------
    R4