Lounger
    Thanks

New hard drive doesn't fit

Hi,

I just bought a new Samsung hard drive to replace the dying one in my old laptop. This morning I tried to install it. I removed the metal shell from the old drive and put it on the new one; the screw holes lined up and everything seemed to fit (both are 2.5" laptop drives). Everything but the pins that I need to connect the drive to the system. The pins on the old drive slide down into slots at the end of the bay, but with the new drive, the pins don't even reach the slots.

The new drive is an SSHD (hybrid) drive, but I don't think that should make a difference. Do I need to buy a Samsung installation kit? Is there some kind of conversion or extension piece that will bridge the gap? Or am I just out of luck and unable to make this work?

Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    M.S.,

2.5" Laptop drives come in several thicknesses, here's a reference article see form factor. Is the new drive thicker than the original? You may need to return it and get a thinner one. I am unaware of any adapters to solve this problem. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, RetiredGeek. I just checked the specifications at both manufacturers' sites, and they're both 9.5 cm.

My first post was hasty and incomplete. My old drive is a Samsung, but the new one is a Seagate. The original is a Samsung HM250JI; the new one is a Seagate ST1000LM014. My laptop is a an HP Pavilion dv6675us. Both disk drives are SATA.

Here are two photos to show the difference. The first one is the new drive and you can see the gap between the black slots and gold pins on the left. The second photo is the old drive and shows how it should be fitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You said the screw holes lined up. If you move the drive forwards or backwards within the caddy do you get another set of screw holes which line up?

Thanks
    M.S.,

From your pictures the pins on the two drives look very different. Was there possibly an adapter on the original drive that you need to remove and install on the new drive? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, between the two pics there's definitely a little black insert missing, has two small protective tabs that extend out on each end of the connector strip. Also in the first pic, the non-drive part where the tiny little slots are; no exposed wires in them. Second pic, the little exposed wires are there in the tiny slots. Seems a whole peice is missing.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-12-08 at 23:46.

Thanks
    Take the black insert/adapter from the original drive and fit it to the new one.

Thanks
    The drives are all a standard size, but the way they connect to different computers can be very different indeed.
    Some just slide in from the outside of the drive, like in a little tray, while others are practically 'Buried' down inside the PC.

A close examination should reveal what's different between the old drive and the new one.

I've seen several different setups, but I've never been Unable to Replace a drive.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Good idea, Browni, but I checked and no such luck. :-(

Thanks, though.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is an adapter, clearly visible in your photos, over the pins on the old drive. RG, F.U.N., and satrow all spotted it, but you don't seem to be paying attention to them, so I've highlighted it in this photo. Use a small, flat-bladed screwdriver or something similar to push the tabs F.U.N. mentioned in the direction of the arrows and off the pins. Push the adapter onto the pins of the new drive. Problem solved.

2.png

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    There is an adapter, clearly visible in your photos, over the pins on the old drive. RG, F.U.N., and satrow all spotted it, but you don't seem to be paying attention to them, so I've highlighted it in this photo.2.png
    My guess is that he's been pulling his hair out trying to figure out what you, RG, FUN, and Satro easily spotted, because he hasn't been doing this sort of thing for very long.

That would be my guess as to why he was asking for help.