Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Truncated HTML message display (Outlook 2000 SR1)

I have a strange problem with a very small number of HTML format e-mails. When I open them, or display them in the Preview Pane, the beginning of the mail is fine but it is then suddenly truncated. This only happens on one PC running Windows98, but happens very consistently with mails from some users - including Woodys Windows Watch!
    I have another PC running Windows 2000 which can open the same Outlook PST file and display the email correctly.
    If I open the mail on the PC with the problem and forward it to myself as an attachment then it arrives correctly and I can now read it
    I suspect the problem is to do with the mail headers, but I can't see any obvious way of getting Outlook to show me the entire email, headers, tags and all
    Any suggestions?

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Truncated HTML message display (Outlook 2000 SR1)

"A corrupted system file--- MLANG.DLL--- is the cuplrit."

"This issue occurs because the Mlang.dll file for Internet Explorer 6 Public Preview for Windows 98 is incompatible with Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express 5, 5.01, and 5.5. What Win 98 users must do is run System File checker and extract the MLANG.DLL file from the Win 98 CD. That has and will solve the problem.

Indeed, running SFC.EXE (usually found in your windowssystem folder) can pull the original, uncorrupted file from your Windows setup CD:

Run SFC.EXE, select "Extract one file from installation disk." When asked to "specify the system file you would like to restore," enter MLANG.DLL. When SFC asks, tell it where to find your setup files (usually on your setup CD, unless you've copied the setup CAB files to your hard drive).

Alternatively, you can use any other tool (such as WinZip) that lets you look inside CAB files, and extract MLANG.DLL manually. In Windows 98, the MLANG.DLL is inside WIN98_33.CAB on the CD, or WIN98_28.CAB (Disk 23) of the floppy-based setup. The correct file has an uncompressed size of 106496 and a file date of 4/10/98. When you've found the file, place it in your windowssystem directory, and then reboot.

For other versions of Windows: MLANG.DLL is also in Win_12.cab on the Windows ME setup CD, and a quick look at my Win2K Pro setup CD shows MLANG.DL_ in the :i386 directory."

Stolen almost word for word from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2001/2001-09-24.htm#3>Fred Langa</A>.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

MS Knowledge Base

Thank you. Your rapid and accurate response has solved my problem

I spent nearly two hours searching the MS knowledge base for this. I just tried searching for MLANG.DLL and they still don't describe this problem. Surprising really since these are standard versions of Windows 98SE, Outlook 2000 SR1 and IE6.

New Lounger
    Thanks

THANKS!!! What a godsend. I have been struggling with this same problem for MONTHS and it has been really annoying. 2-seconds and its fixed. Glad to know smart people are out there to help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't had a chance to try the solution yet, but thank you very much for the response! I hope it fixes the problem...

Seems strange that MS doesn't have anything in the KB about this problem.......... Grrrrr.