Lounger
    Thanks

I need opinions on 'all-in-one' desktop PC's?

After years using Win XP, I've decided to take the plunge + invest in a new desktop PC in the New Year. (I don't use, or want, a laptop BTW). I'm quite taken with the idea of an all-in-one desktop PC, particularrly the Dell Inspiron 23, and wondered if anyone had any experiences of them?

I'd be really grateful to hear them.

Thx.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    From my experience the criticism that is more frequently found about all in one pcs lies in 2 areas: lack of internal expandability and, sometimes, low specs and average performance. The latter probably does not apply to the Inspiron 23. The former is unavoidable, but it may not be important to you, which is understandable, if so.

The Inspiron 23 is a great looking computer.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    I second the thought that the criticism I've seen is mostly about expandability. As Rui said, if that is not high on your list then you are fine. Just make sure you have enough USB ports to attach the peripherals you need. The perception of performance is largely dependent on what you do with the PC. If possible find a store that carries one and go try it at a store.

Joe

Thanks
    My reason for not buying an all-in-one PC is that it puts the system unit and monitor eggs into one basket. It does save (some) space and wiring, though.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    That Monitor "egg" is a mighty expensive replacement if it goes bad and you are basically limited to a single (think monopoly) supplier! Just my 2 cents worth.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    As a PC Service Tech, I've found the AIO PC's to be all but impossible to repair. Parts are pretty much Proprietary to the company that made it.
    Then, regardless of the brand, you have the problem of cooling all those electronics, jammed into one thin case. It's going to get HOT in there!!! Remember...."Heat Kills" electronics.

Then as was mentioned, what if your monitor dies....they DO, you know! The LED monitors fail far more frequently than the old CRT's did.
    Replacing the monitor in an AIO can get really expensive, and you can't just run out to the nearest store and buy one. You must order it from the company that made it, and pay whatever they demand.
    Or what if you just want a Larger Monitor? Forget about it!

If you want a new Desktop PC, then buy a REAL one, with separate Tower (full size, never a mini), Monitor, Keyboard, etc.
    Then if any part fails, it will be easily and economically replaced, in one day.

I built my PC, originally in 2005. Since then I've had five different monitors, at least as many hard drives and I've added all sorts of Add-On cards to the PCI ports on the motherboard. My system is 100% repairable and expandable. I like it like that!

Just my 2 cents worth.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    The main reason I would have for buying an all-in-one PC would be if I was really short on space, and that's all that would fit on my desk.

There are some benefits: Mainly, it is up on your desk, and therefore the various ports, drives, on-off switch are easily accessible. Also, since it's up on your desk rather than on the floor, it won't get as much dust in it.

But it will get dust in it, and it will be harder to get the dust out of an all-in-one than a traditional desktop PC.

And just like others have said, parts will be proprietary for the most part; and it will be a lot harder to access them.

Just like with a laptop, I'll bet that you could easily damage the computer while trying to do maintenance/repairs, if you aren't really careful.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to you guys, (especially the Doctor), I've changed my mind after my brief flirtation with AIO's - it was the 'monitor crash' that convinced me! I've had a look around + the Dell XPS 8700 seems good - any thoughts?

Thanks
    The Dell XPS 8700 looks like a great computer. Plenty of memory, etc. You won't need to replace it for many years.

Also, the owner's manual gives very clear and easy-to-understand directions for removing and replacing most of the parts in the computer.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-12-09 at 15:05.

Thanks
    Bodger,

If you're a COSTCO member they have a great deal on that machine which includes a 2nd year of service. That's where I got mine back in July of course now for the same price you get 16Gb vs 12Gb RAM!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Those all in one PCs can actually be quite nice, ...IF you know what your getting yourself into.
    What I would consider anathema is NOT taking the time to figure out what YOUR own actually need are, then matching those needs
    with what's out there.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.