New Lounger
    Thanks

Replace Windows Vista with Windows 7

I have a computer running Windows Vista. I want to replace it with Windows 7. I do not want to do an upgrade. I want to do a fress install. That said, I want to continue to use the current Windows Vista until Windows 7 is completely set up. I have a new, never been used, 600 MB SATA drive. I (think I ) want to install that in the computer and install Windows 7 on the new drive, reinstall all of the current Windows Vista software, and then switch to the new drive.

I have considered partitioning the C: drive and installing Windows 7 in the new partition for a dual boot system, but then I'm stuck with Vista on the original partition. I have Norton Ghost, but I don't think Ghost can duplicate Windows 7 from a partition to the new disk and make the new disk my boot disk. ( Or am I wrong)

When the computer boots, I can press F2 and get to the bios. the bios allows you to configure the boot sequence. I'm hoping that I could install the new disk, boot from the Windows 7 CD, and install Windows 7 on the new disk. Then, when I want to install new software, I could change the boot sequence to boot from Windows 7 and install the new software. When I just want to work, I could change the boot sequence and just work on the old Vista installation.

Does this make sense? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Don Holliday

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You will probably want to disconnect the Vista drive's data cable when installing Windows 7 on the new drive OR it probably will set up a dual boot configuration for you automatically.

After the install is finished, power down and connect the Vista drive again and there shouldn't be any problem switching to the boot drive you want in the BIOS.

Thanks
    Is there a really compelling reason that when you want to work you can't use the new Win 7 OS? I think you will find it works just as well or better for your work. There was not, IMO, a huge difference between Vista and Win 7. Plus the newer browsers are available for Win 7, but not for Vista. You will find that Win 7 is faster and more secure, IMO.

If you make an Image of your old Vista OS, you can then convert the old HD to a Data Drive quite easily. In this way there will be no need to keep switching back and forth between the 2 OSes. I was dual booted for quite some time, but it was really only to test new OSes rather than use both OSes for different things. In fact I had 3 partitions with the Data Drive containing all my data and both OSes pointing to the same data folders on the Data Drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    I second FUN's recommendation. If the Vista drive is present, when you install, you will end up with a dual-boot. To avoid a dual-boot, you won't avoid removing and adding the different drives a few times, if you don't complete the full migration to 7, with all the apps, in a single time.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I agree too, disconnecting the original drive is the best way to go to avoid any chance of installing to the wrong drive and wiping the original.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed FUN's advice and it worked as he stated. I normally boot to the Windows 7 disk to do email, web browsing, and many other activities. Since some of my applications are still on VISTA, I boot to VISTA to use those applications that are still on that boot disk. I hope to be completely off VISTA in another month or so.

I was smart enough to install an external SATA drive as a data drive, so the only data I had to move from the VISTA disk to the Win7 disk are the ones that insist on storing their data on the C: drive. That data includes Thunderbird email and configuration, Firefox configuration, Outlook data and configuration.

There are two peculiarities that popped up with Win 7.
    1. The DVD RW drive does not show in the list of disk drives unless it has a disk in it. It appeared in VISTA even when it was empty.
    2. The E: and F: drives are external SATA drives. They appear in the list of drives and are available after I boot to the Win7 drive. If the computer stays idle long enough to go to sleep, the E: and F: drives disappear from the list of drives and are no longer available through Windows Explorer or through the the command prompt.

I'll open a different thread to explore the drive problems.

Thanks everyone for the advice.