Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Problem with WMP in Windows 7 (bad path)

Hi'

Somehow I changed the location and network paths on all my stored music to blah blah blah\Home\Users\Tom\Smooth Jazz Mix # 18\ (artists name).

The songs do play if you select them from the above folder. However none of them appear in WMP 12.

Is there a way to change both paths so that they point to the correct location that allows them to appear in WMP 12?

My only thought is to go through the command prompt and change the paths of them individually (if that is even possible) to point the music to the proper default location.

Thanks

raiderfan

Thanks
    In WMP, click Organize / Manage Libraries / Music.

Add the location of your music to the list of Library locations. After doing that, right-click on it and make it the default location. Remove the other locations if they are incorrect.

You can add mulitple locations, if your music is in more than one place.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

The library was pointed to the correct location. On my pc that is C:\Users\Tom\Music. As an experiment I ripped sever new music tracks to the pc. Those appeared in the location and also appeared in the library.

Some online threads I read suggested that the problem was corrupted .wmbd files. The procedure to solve this problem was to delete them. WMP 12 would then automatically rebuild the database correctly. That didn't work.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks

raiderfan

Thanks
    You could try uninstalling, then reinstalling, Windows Media Player.

To uninstall:
    Under Control Panel, go to Programs and Features.
    Click the link for Turn Windows features on or off (upper left of the window).
    Expand Media Features, then uncheck Windows Media Player.
    Click OK.

Probably a good idea to reboot at this point.

To reinstall:
    Repeat the above steps, except this time, check the box by Windows Media Player.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Sorry, no joy.

Anything else?

Thanks

raiderfan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried using the restore points to prior the event ?

If you suspect it's because of corrupt files then you can also try running a system file check with the command sfc /scannow as an administrator from the Command Prompt to see if there were any files to repair.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15,

I tried a restore point from 3-4 days before the problem occurred. It didn't work.

raiderfan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you run the sfc /scannow command to see what it reported ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15,

I ran sfc /scannow but it didn't report any problems.

I think I found the problem.

In my 12/11/2013, I mentioned that I had ripped music tracs from a cd that I had already ripped tracs from. The new tracs as well as the old ones appeared in the library. Yesterday I ripped a trac from a new cd and that trac also appeared in the library.

I switched back and forth between tracs that appeared in the library and tracs that did not appear in the library. I noticed that, in the tracs that showed in the library the attribute listed in the details tab was A which I believe stands for Archived. The files that do not appear are listed as HA which I believe stands for Hidden Archive. The general tab on the trac had the "hidden" box checked. I unchecked the box. I also l unchecked any "hidden" check box in the artist folder and sub folder.

I then went to tools > advanced >restore media library. When you reopen WMP the tracks with the album art and other attributes such as album name genre etc. appears.

I don't know how this happened. I assume it's something I clicked on that caused this. It may not even be the "correct" solution but it worked.

Thanks for your support and Happy Holidays

raiderfan

If it is, perhaps it's something to file away in memory that might help someone else who is going crazy.

Thanks for all your help

raiderfan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad you were able to get that sorted and it's definitely something that may help others as I'm sure, most of us have inadvertently clicked on something and wondered how something or other had happened

Merry Christmas to you also.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2013-12-18 at 16:17.