Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts

Is the "real" Start menu coming back? Rumours point to that... in Windows 8.2, in 2015

According to Paul Thurrott, quoted by The Register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12...ld_start_menu/
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Too late, I can easily live without a traditional start menu imo. (small potatoes)

If MS was really smart they'd reconsider separating their device OS from the desktop OS. The desktop clearly isn't going
    away anytime soon.
    Just because some stupid market place is telling us that people who never needed a desktop in the firstplace are'nt buying them anymore
    doesn't necessarily make them redundant.

Instead focus on the better integration of data between the two, & find a way to dump some of that bloated code that
    MS is infamous for and that we all know is there.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    It never really went anywhere, MS just disabled it. No big trick for MS to re-enable it. StartIsBack+ does it quite nicely in 8.1, just as StartIsBack did in 8.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If true, then change my earlier prediction of Windows Business 2018 to WB 2015, and it answers my unending question of how does MS force Win 8 down enterprise's gullet? I think the mini-dark age of Windows might go on for a bit yet though, makes more sense to try and bake in the touch screen interface because there isn't going to be much business turnover in a year and a half if they've mostly migrated to Windows 7 in the last few years; unless there's still a very significant XP holdout maybe.
    Otherwise MS might lose a rather substantial chunk of the OS subscription market they've been angling toward. Like Data from Star Trek-First Contact, it would take me all of 0.68 seconds to opt out of the Store.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Funny, but I never got to use the Start menu. I have been influenced by my C=128 and had icons for all the apps that I used daily. Now, I have 24 of them in my Quick Launch and this is how I use my many machines. Am I this different ? What is this big noise about a Start menu ? Have a great day. Jean.

Thanks
    The start screen is much easier to use, and customize than the old start menu. This is 2014, not 1995!

Thanks
    The proposed new Start Menu is not exactly like the old one and will incorporate some of the modern tiles. See a screen shot at:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...leaker/#!FH1mE

It won't please the traditionaists.

Jerry

Thanks
    I'm a traditionalist. Doesn't matter what year it is; what matters is that it's my PC, and it will run the way I want it to run.

The way the Start Menu is so deeply coded into the Windows GUI, it would take a thorough re-coding of the GUI to completely eliminate the Start Menu. Not happening anytime soon, and the third party Start Menu re-enablers will continue to work for quite some time into the future.

So, I'll continue to use a Start Menu for quite some time into the future.

They are still called "Personal Computers".
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-04-24 at 05:02.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-04-24)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Funny, but I never got to use the Start menu. I have been influenced by my C=128 and had icons for all the apps that I used daily. Now, I have 24 of them in my Quick Launch and this is how I use my many machines. Am I this different ? What is this big noise about a Start menu ? Have a great day. Jean.
    Jean, the reason I like the Windows 7 style start button / start menu is because it provides certain shortcuts and functionality that is very useful for me.

You can create some of that manually; it's just a lot easier when all of that comes with the start button / start menu.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    The start screen is much easier to use, and customize than the old start menu. This is 2014, not 1995!
    You got that right. I used to have NOTHING BUT TROUBLE with the start menu. It is a royal pain in the butt to customize, and if you are scrolling through multiple tabs to get to your program, and your mouse slips off, well start all over again sucker! The Start Screen, on the other hand, is stable, easily customized, pretty to look at, and just generally a true work of art. It is very functional, and if Microsoft brings the start menu back I will be the first to either uncheck that option or install a program that makes it disappear as quickly as I made the start button go away when it showed back up in Windows 8.1!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    You got that right. I used to have NOTHING BUT TROUBLE with the start menu. It is a royal pain in the butt to customize, and if you are scrolling through multiple tabs to get to your program, and your mouse slips off, well start all over again sucker! The Start Screen, on the other hand, is stable, easily customized, pretty to look at, and just generally a true work of art. It is very functional, and if Microsoft brings the start menu back I will be the first to either uncheck that option or install a program that makes it disappear as quickly as I made the start button go away when it showed back up in Windows 8.1!
    Personal Computer.

We all have our own reasons for doing the things we do. No one is right, and no one is wrong; we're all just different, and we all have different skills and preferences. Between Windows and 3rd party options, our computers can be our own.

I recently bought a Windows Phone 8. The Start Screen is perfect for it. On my PC, the Start Screen sucks out loud, but the StartIsBack+ Start Menu is perfect for it. My phone has nowhere near the capabilities of my PC. Different tools for different uses, different preferences for different tools; all personal.

There are reasons I don't own a Mac, and they're all personal, too.

Unleash Windows