Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 11: Too frequent "Page Cannot be Displayed"

Hi folks,
    IE11 seems to be working pretty well, with one exception.
    Too many of my visited forum threads come back "Page Cannot be Displayed".
    I refresh maybe two times and it comes up with page. I never had this problem with IE8 - did not do IE9 or 10.
    It's like the browser is timing out.
    I have a very good signal. Any ideas how I can resolve this?
    Thanks so much and have a blessed one.
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    If I were in your shoes, I would go back to IE 10, unless you can't (that is, you're using Windows 8.1).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello ruirib,
    I tried briefly IE 9 & 10 (for about a day each) and was so disappointed that I rolled back to IE8.
    IE11 sees fine except for the issue I have described.....
    Is MS working on updates AND is my problem one of the issues that users are experiencing?
    Thanks so very much for your reply.
    Tom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Hi Tom,

I am running IE 10 on Windows 7 and IE 11 on Windows 8.1. I don't use IE that much (except for testing), but IE 11 has worked fine for me, whenever I have tried it. I haven't upgraded on Windows 7, because there seems to be an usual set of problems with IE 11 (even if this may just be the impression I get from users here).

This is the first time I have heard about your problem, but there have been other issues with IE. A look at this very forum will give you an idea of what other users have been experiencing.

From the point of view of a regular user, I don't see many differences between IE 10 and IE 11. Maybe it's because I don't use IE so much, but that's my view. I don't know whether Microsoft will update IE 11 or not. You would expect them to do it, but one can never tell. From what it looks like to me, a new IE version comes out only with a new Windows version, which leaves IE losing to the competition, with competing browsers benefiting from a much more frequent release cycle. It seems a new Windows version is planned for 2015, so all that I can guess (and I emphasize guess), is that IE 12 may only come at that time. What Microsoft will do with IE 11 until then, I really can't say.

Fixing IE glitches can be a bit of a wild goose chase. Sometimes, resetting IE to defaults helps, but for those users who are unlucky enough for IE not to work properly, it can be very hard to fix it. So, if IE 10 works for you, you won't lose much by sticking with it. I also recommend taking a look at alternative browsers. Both Chrome and Firefox are mature browsers and they beat IE hands down in many situations, performance wise. In my opinion and experience, they are also more stable and offer better standards compatibility (even if in the latter case, IE has been improving a lot).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Try rebooting your router, see if that makes any difference.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It does sound like an unusual problem as it only affects some sites and your Internet connection is fine.

IE 11 has a Compatibility List via Tools that you can add the sites to which may resolve, but this could also be because of additional add-ons that come with IE 11 so running IE without add-ons may ID the problem.

I don't think it's likely to be any 3rd party services as that would probably affect all sites, but if the Compatibility List or running without add-ons doesn't fix then it may be worth running a clean boot to see if they display then.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello fellows,
    Thanks so much for the overview ruirib - satrow, I have rebooted router several times to no avail.
    Sudo15, I will look into the Compatibility List and check this out...
    Thanks so very much for you valuable info.
    Tom

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Hi Tom,

I am running IE 10 on Windows 7 and IE 11 on Windows 8.1. I don't use IE that much (except for testing), but IE 11 has worked fine for me, whenever I have tried it. I haven't upgraded on Windows 7, because there seems to be an usual set of problems with IE 11 (even if this may just be the impression I get from users here).

This is the first time I have heard about your problem, but there have been other issues with IE. A look at this very forum will give you an idea of what other users have been experiencing.

From the point of view of a regular user, I don't see many differences between IE 10 and IE 11. Maybe it's because I don't use IE so much, but that's my view. I don't know whether Microsoft will update IE 11 or not. You would expect them to do it, but one can never tell. From what it looks like to me, a new IE version comes out only with a new Windows version, which leaves IE losing to the competition, with competing browsers benefiting from a much more frequent release cycle. It seems a new Windows version is planned for 2015, so all that I can guess (and I emphasize guess), is that IE 12 may only come at that time. What Microsoft will do with IE 11 until then, I really can't say.

Fixing IE glitches can be a bit of a wild goose chase. Sometimes, resetting IE to defaults helps, but for those users who are unlucky enough for IE not to work properly, it can be very hard to fix it. So, if IE 10 works for you, you won't lose much by sticking with it. I also recommend taking a look at alternative browsers. Both Chrome and Firefox are mature browsers and they beat IE hands down in many situations, performance wise. In my opinion and experience, they are also more stable and offer better standards compatibility (even if in the latter case, IE has been improving a lot).
    At my job, we have some users who are unable to successfully load Citrix. These users all seem to have IE 11. We haven't had any such reports that I'm aware of with IE 10.

I'm not sure which version of Windows they are running, because this is on their home PC, not their work PC. But based on the fact that this problem just started about two or three weeks ago, I'd guess that they are running Windows 8.1.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    At my job, we have some users who are unable to successfully load Citrix. These users all seem to have IE 11. We haven't had any such reports that I'm aware of with IE 10.

I'm not sure which version of Windows they are running, because this is on their home PC, not their work PC. But based on the fact that this problem just started about two or three weeks ago, I'd guess that they are running Windows 8.1.
    It seems to be a 32 bit application and unchecking the box for Enable Enhanced Protected Mode via Tools - Internet options - Advanced and scroll down to Security will change IE 11 to 32 bit mode from its default 64 bit.

Came across a Google link which suggested using InPrivate Browsing also helped.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2013-12-11 at 11:58. Reason: New info.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-12-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this could be a solution for you, but have you looked at your video drivers and tried to update them.
    Check the following post. I spent a lot of time before I figured this one out.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...225#post932225

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello cstevens,
    I'm using NVidia and drivers are current.......THANK you for the tip.
    Tom

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had the same error on, dare I say it, Chrome. Windows trouble shooting responds with "DNS server not accessible. While this is a brand new problem I'm only having in the last two months, I've found one fairly quick but not quite permanent solution.

Click the Start button.
    Enter cmd in the Start menu search field.
    Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
    Type the following command and press Enter: ipconfig /flushdns
    If the command was successful, you will see the following message:
    Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Then ipconfig /release
    and ipconfig /restore

This has replaced my frequent loss of my internet connection which was corrected by updated my firmware.

It's always something, isn't it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    sigrossman,
    I remember doing this step quite a while back. I tried it again, but it did not make any difference to the outcome.
    Thanks so very much for your thoughts and help.

YES - It's "always" something!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sigrossman View Post

Then ipconfig /release
    and ipconfig /restore
    It is ipconfig /renew, NOT ipconfig /restore, sigrossman. the "restore" switch is not valid in any version of Windows.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    np-7930,
    Yes, I caught that and did the /renew switch.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast