Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Activated Win7 No Longer Activated

I bought a HP 2510p laptop, rebuilt, from an online vendor. The laptop was to come with Win XP pro or Vista. It came with a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate.
    It was activated. I did the usual new install WU; installed MSE. I wanted to get rid on the recovery partition and repartition the way I like. Installed dual boot with Ubuntu 12.10; reinstalled Win 7 Ultimate; activated it. I think that when it checked for updates and checked for genuine windows something kicked me out of activation because now it fails to reactivate. I get the "counterfeit" message. There is no phone number with the options that I could call. The nag wants me to buy a new copy or key; or to call HP. Why would I need to call HP? This laptop is 6 years old and only an occasional travel companion. The key should be good as it worked and was activated several times successfully. I've made no physical changes to the hardware. Is this common--I'm new to Win 7--and how do I determine if, indeed, the key is valid?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I bought a HP 2510p laptop, rebuilt, from an online vendor.
    I'm very curious about the above. Who exactly rebuilt it and with what type of install disks?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could attempt to trigger the activation wizard, get the activation codes from that and then call the Microsoft activation hotline using the method outlined in this MS Support article (use Method 2).

I'm curious about why a re-installation was needed after setting up dual boot. Even fiddling with the partitions and installing Ubuntu as dual boot would not have required a re-install of Windows 7. Also, which installation disks did you use - you say you wanted to get rid of the recovery partition as part of the partitioning clean-up, but there would not have been a recovery partition after a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate. Indeed, a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate would not have left any trace of anything to do with HP on the laptop.

As alluded to by CLiNT: It seems to me that "refurb" by the online vendor was somewhat questionable.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    I would definitely be contacting the online vendor, although I'm sure they will undoubtedly claim that the OPs changes are what facilitated the problem. I would want assurances from them on where the key came from.

The phone activation should work satisfactorily. I have used this support a couple of times in the past when changing OSs and reinstalling my Office products. MS is generally very accommodating with these requests.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The online company is pc-infinity.com. I am waiting, a little longer, to hear from them. I changed no hardware. I received no cd of win7, nor a built in restore partition, so I dl'd a copy of win7 ultimate from an online retail site that I have bought other product keys and os's from in the past; burned the iso and re-installed win7 to the new partition. It was activated with the product key I had obtained from the win7 that was on the laptop when I got it. Did I do something I shouldn't have? I've done this with xp many times. After this activation and subsequent install of sp1 and MSE is when it was determined that I had a counterfeit copy and it won't activate now.
    Last edited by willo; 2012-12-15 at 13:14.

Thanks
    You could try the official Win 7 with SP1 site at Digital River. Burn the ISO file to DVD, then start over. Your method should have worked.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

willo (2012-12-15)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It sounds like something has gone wrong in the installation or partitioning somewhere. Why? Because if you performed a full, clean installation, why would it know anything about HP to tell you to call them for assistance.

If indeed there was a recovery partition on the machine as you indicated in your first post, this tells us that it had a factory installation not a full clean install from pc-infinity.

At a basic level, using a genuine Windows 7 ISO and the key that was already used to activate the OS should have caused no real problems other than perhaps a need to call MS to re-activate. However, it's not clear why a re-install was necessary, not why the re-install is referring to HP.

Is there any chance the online retail site you obtained the copy of Win7 could have been an OEM installation disk from HP? That would make sense with the references to calling HP and would then cause an activation issue.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Willo,

I did a Google search on their parent company, X-Infinity, inc. , and found they have a Better Business Bureau "F" rating ; also, check under "Rip-off Report" listing:
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/directory/x-infinity.aspx

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2012-12-15 at 13:52.

Thanks
    I also found this site is very poor. I suspect the license might not be valid. The things you are doing is not anything abnormal. If the license was truly not valid, they might have changed something to make it appear valid initially, but when you reinstalled, you wiped out the work around and the true nature came forth. Or the key was always invalid, and when you attempted the WU, the Genuine app checked the installation and found it was not genuine. Sorry, you might have been ripped off. This company does not have a good track record for resolving problems satisfactorily.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-12-15 at 16:32.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I agree with Ted: although it would be near impossible here in The Lounge to determine the exact nature of the issue at hand, the presence of non clean installation screen prompts (from HP etc) suggests that perhaps a cloned OS has been installed onto a disk and the activation tampered with.

I think we need also be be careful to let due process take its course and not make absolute statements when we simply don't have enough evidence. If you agree that there is at least some evidence of piracy on the machine that has been supplied, I suggest you report your suspicions to Microsoft on their Anti Piracy site.

Lastly, if you feel that there is little or no chance of seeking redress from the vendor, you do have an option open to you that will cost less money than buying a new Windows 7 key. Install Vista using the licence key on the COA attached to the machine. You then have the opportunity to upgrade to a completely clean and genuine installation of Windows 8 using the discounted upgrade scheme - but that's perhaps for a different thread.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-12-15 at 17:46. Reason: Minor typo's

Thanks
    I was also going to suggest the possibility of Win 8 Pro, but I thought perhaps it's premature. Contacting the online seller, even one that has a very poor reputation, should be the first alternative.

This just points out the fact that we all have to be extremely careful on where we spend our money. I suppose if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. I do sympathize with the OP, but there is most likely little we can offer for remedies in this situation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the good advice. The vendor has offered to reinstall and activate Win7 for me if I send it back to them. I want to try it again myself. I have the key pid text that says the product key is valid and is OEM. This means that I must install an upgrade copy of Ultimate since the original install and key were for Vista. I will follow Fred L's method to do a clean install of it. I thought I did but I'll try it again with a new copy of Ultimate w/sp1. I'll post the results. Anything I'm missing, here?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quick update: ms told me the product key was disabled and that probably it was used on more than 1 pc. He said that everything I did before that would not have cause the reactivation error. I have contacted the vendor and they are willing to reinstall and reactivate; but do I want to? Should I buy a new retail product key and start over?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by willo View Post
    Quick update: ms told me the product key was disabled and that probably it was used on more than 1 pc. He said that everything I did before that would not have cause the reactivation error. I have contacted the vendor and they are willing to reinstall and reactivate; but do I want to? Should I buy a new retail product key and start over?
    Why does not the vendor provide you with a valid key? It's not your fault that it was used elsewhere, is it?

Thanks
    I was going to say, make them supply you with a valid key, even if they have to buy a legal one for you. You can just as easily reinstall the OS as they can, perhaps better because you can install a garbage free copy from the ISO download file.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast