Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting user account

I am fixing up a 5 year old laptop for my grandson. I have installed a new HD and re-installed Vista Basic. After setting up some user accounts I decided to delete one of them. As Admin, I removed the account and checked the box to remove the user files. After rebooting, I noted that the removed user still had a folder listed in the directory tree. I'm trying to remove it. After confirming the delete two or three times, I'm now at a small window that says: Recycling 395 items, 54.1 MB. There is nothing to indicate if there is progress and it has been running for over an hour. The Task Manager says that it is running. How long does this usually take? If this doesn't work, how do I get rid of the user's folder?
    Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I'd boot into Safe mode and try to delete it from there.

Thanks
    Does the Vista OS have SP1 installed? This might help with your problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    You can try MoveOnBoot. It will delete files and folders that are locked, for any reason, so it may help with your situation too.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure about SP1. I'll check.
    However, I think I corrected the problem. After re-installing Vista, when prompted, I created a user name and password. Without thinking about it being an admin account I gave it my grandson's name. After all the other important stuff was completed, I came back to add an admin account and realized that the first account was already admin. Rather than simply changing the account type on the first account and then create a new admin account, I changed the name and password. I'm not sure why, but that left a folder in the admin account from the first account name. I guess admin couldn't delete the folder because it was "in use" or something like that. By creating a new admin account and then removing and re-creating the other, I got it straightened out. I hope that all makes sense.
    Thanks for the replies.

Update:
    One of the first things I did was download updates. I checked and it appears that SP1 was included. According to the Microsoft website, there is also SP2. Not sure why that it was not also included. Should I do it manually or wait for it to be automatically downloaded?
    Last edited by Yobil; 2013-12-10 at 17:30. Reason: Update

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobil View Post
    I guess admin couldn't delete the folder because it was "in use" or something like that. By creating a new admin account and then removing and re-creating the other, I got it straightened out. I hope that all makes sense.
    Makes perfect sense. Windows locks certain folders and files when they are in use, so that they don't inadvertently get deleted. By removing and recreating the other account, the original folder was no longer in use and therefore no longer locked.

In the future, if you delete an account, but are then unable to delete the folder for that account, reboot. The reboot, along with the account being deleted, will clear the lock on the folder.

Thanks
    Go ahead and do SP2 as well. Vista is old enough that any problems with updates should have been ironed out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobil View Post
    Update:
    One of the first things I did was download updates. I checked and it appears that SP1 was included. According to the Microsoft website, there is also SP2. Not sure why that it was not also included. Should I do it manually or wait for it to be automatically downloaded?
    That depends on your patience!

You could allow your PC to go through the download updates/install updates/restart/find new updates circle until it picks up SP2 or download it directly from MS.

The 2nd choice seems the quickest way!

Here's the official word

Installing Vista SP2

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll do it manually so that it gets done before Christmas. Funny, MS says that SP2 includes everything that's in SP1. Yet, it also says that you can't install 2 without all ready having installed 1. Oh well. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks
    I've had good results with Unlocker program.
    Fortunately it's not a program I need every month, or even year!

You might also try DelProf2 /P (from a Command Prompt) to see if it handles incomplete account information.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...