New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Updates section missing from View Installed Updates, Windows 7 Professional

I need to uninstall Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 from Windows 7 Professional to revert to an earlier version which is compatible with the State of Kansas medical network. When I go to Control Panel + Programs and Features + View Installed Updates there is NO section under the installed updates entitled Microsoft Windows (where Windows updates are all located on every other computer I have serviced). How do I make this section appear under View Installed Updates? I have seen others with a similar problem but all involved anti virus or zone alarm issues which are not applicable in my case. Thank you.

Thanks
    Look under "'Turn Windows Features on or off". Uncheck the box next to Internet Explorer 11. Click OK. It will then be installed.

You may have to repeat for IE 10, if you want to uninstall it as well. If so, be sure to also make sure it doesn't appear in the "View Installed Updates" list. If so, uninstall it from that list.

Thanks
    I would believe that IE 10 should work. I would really try this rather than IE 9 as it is more secure.

Before uninstalling IE 11, have you tried to add the required site to the Gear, Compatibility View Settings. While at the proper URL manually add to the list. The MS compatibility list does not contain all web sites.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Look under "'Turn Windows Features on or off". Uncheck the box next to Internet Explorer 11. Click OK. It will then be installed.

You may have to repeat for IE 10, if you want to uninstall it as well. If so, be sure to also make sure it doesn't appear in the "View Installed Updates" list. If so, uninstall it from that list.
    I think you are right, Jim, both IE 10 and IE 11 appear on the Windows features dialog.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    As Medico said, IE 10 is more secure than IE 9. I'd uninstall IE 11 and then see if IE 10 gets the job done. If it doesn't, then I would also proceed with uninstalling IE 10.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You don't want to be turning it off in Windows Features as this removes access to IE.

In Programs and Features click on Installed Updates (bottom left pane) and then in the top right search box, type Windows Internet Explorer and it will locate any IE updates which you can right click on to select Uninstall.

You can also use this option when searching for any KB numbers.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2013-12-11 at 11:56.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You don't want to be turning it off in Windows Features as this removes access to IE.
    Is that a bad idea, at all ?

I bet (hundreds of) thousands of web developers would love if that ever happened :

P.S.: You are right,though, it needs to be removed from the Installed Updates.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    The problem, if you don't uncheck it in Windows Features, is that it won't fully uninstall.

You aren't unchecking "IE", but rather "IE 10" or "IE 11". It removes access only to that specific version.

I wanted to go from IE 10 to IE 9 (Windows 7), as there were some issues with IE 10. I uninstalled IE 10 from Programs and Features / Installed Updates, but not from Windows Features. After doing that, I couldn't surf the web at all! I then unchecked it from Windows Features, and like magic, I had IE 9.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The problem, if you don't uncheck it in Windows Features, is that it won't fully uninstall.

You aren't unchecking "IE", but rather "IE 10" or "IE 11". It removes access only to that specific version.

I wanted to go from IE 10 to IE 9 (Windows 7), as there were some issues with IE 10. I uninstalled IE 10 from Programs and Features / Installed Updates, but not from Windows Features. After doing that, I couldn't surf the web at all! I then unchecked it from Windows Features, and like magic, I had IE 9.
    So it needs both?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Is that a bad idea, at all ?

I bet (hundreds of) thousands of web developers would love if that ever happened :
    It's the nearest you can get to uninstalling IE and prior to IE 10 where re-checking its box will reinstate it, MS warned that prior to doing so, you must install another browser as you would lose all access to the Internet - but IE is required for Windows Updates.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So it needs both?
    No, it doesn't and that isn't the way it should have worked for mrjimhelps.

When you uninstall it from Installed Updates, it would normally revert you to the version you upgraded from but on one occasion it knocked me back to IE 8 so I had to manually install IE 10.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It's the nearest you can get to uninstalling IE and prior to IE 10 where re-checking its box will reinstate it, MS warned that prior to doing so, you must install another browser as you would lose all access to the Internet - but IE is required for Windows Updates.
    Of course . It was just a joke. There is actually an ongoing twitter trend (#FiveTechWordHorrors), where IE has its well deserved place .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MMBrown26 View Post
    I need to uninstall Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 from Windows 7 Professional to revert to an earlier version which is compatible with the State of Kansas medical network. When I go to Control Panel + Programs and Features + View Installed Updates there is NO section under the installed updates entitled Microsoft Windows (where Windows updates are all located on every other computer I have serviced). How do I make this section appear under View Installed Updates? I have seen others with a similar problem but all involved anti virus or zone alarm issues which are not applicable in my case. Thank you.
    Actually you can just type "Internet Explorer" at the top right search area, while viewing installed updates, and it will show you the updates for Internet Explorer. Maybe that will help you find it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Of course . It was just a joke. There is actually an ongoing twitter trend (#FiveTechWordHorrors), where IE has its well deserved place .
    I won't ask where that is

Administrator
    Thanks
    I won't ask where that is
    It's not what you're thinking . I meant it has appeared in multiple tweets as a tech horror expressed in just 5 words .
    Rui
    -------
    R4