Star Lounger
    Thanks

Return to Last Edit (brought up again)

In the thread "Open Doc and Return to last edit (Word 2007)" there was a rather complex way of going to the last edit point.

The starter of the thread was trying to use a macro, and it was unsuccessful. I have had the same problem with Word 2007. Has anybody come up with a decent way of getting word to go back to the last edit when the file is reopened.

I had thought of having a shut-down macro put in a marker of some searchable phrase, say qqq, and then upon opening it could be searched. But before I try that I wondered if someone had a better way.
    [I have been here for years; I had to get things restarted]

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does Shift F5 not work for you? It works in my tests (at least, with Word 2010 -- and, if memory serves, the same keystroke should work with Word 2007).

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hm. Just tested with the same document (.docx) in my old version of Word 2007, and Shift F5 did not work. But in the thread that discusses this problem, someone seems to indicate that Shift F5 does work in the patched version of Word 2007.

Not sure what is causing the problem, since the KB shortcut does work with a .docx formatted document in Word 2010.

Sorry that I don't have a solution for you (unless you are able to get Shift F5 to work).

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Word 2007 is a special case, and the bug in it has not been fixed in any update.

In all other versions of Word, the location of the most recent edit is saved in the file as a bookmark named \PrevSel1. The Shift+F5 shortcut just goes to that bookmark. The bug in Word 2007 is that the bookmark is not saved in the file.

A workaround to save a unique string in the text and then look for it when Shift+F5 is pressed would work, although you would also have to program the macro to remove the string. It would be better to insert a bookmark (you could name it PrevSel1, but the backslash isn't valid for a bookmark name that you try to add via a macro or the Bookmark dialog) and have Shift+F5 search for that.