Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Closing a long year of Windows patching

PATCH WATCH

Closing a long year of Windows patching

By Susan Bradley

Congratulations! We've come to the end of 2013 with 103 security bulletins, numerous nonsecurity updates, several security advisories, and a few zero-days. Facing the end of official support, XP users end the year battling a resurgence of the SVCHost bug.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/closing-a-long-year-of-windows-patching/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What about the KB 2862330 kernel update from MS13-081, left over from October?

It seems to have disappeared from all the charts!

Also, please, please, please add the YEAR to the "RELEASED" column of the charts; the dates are quickly becoming very confusing when trying to find an entry from a particular month, say KB 2862330 as mentioned above.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got hit hard with the svchost taking 100% cpu issue which, of course, was caused by wuauserve. I used Process explorer to disable, temporarily, this service and all's well. Then, I found the cool utility below from betanews to get all my XP updates (over 830MBytes of updates unfortunately since I didn't see any way to focus my updates to just what I needed; make sure you click on the legacy tab since that's where 32-bit XP is located). Don't bother, though, to use the utility's update.bat file since the cpu issue (had to activate wuauserve of course) kicked back in. I looked at the directory where the updates were stored and fortunately, the program saves the updates by their release date (how cool is that) so I manually installed all the updates (yes, one at a time; don't think there were more then 6 that I actually installed). I had missed one since, after reboot, I went to the Windows update site and one was left (well two; Malicious removal tool as well; lol) so proceeded to update and now my XP is humming smoothly. Not sure what patch fixed the SVCHost issue, but one of these did (at least for me). I run XP in a virtual machine (VirtualBox) by the way for sandbox purposes to protect my Win7. My VirtualPC XPMode updates is a lost cause though even using this utility. Haven't tried to go to a recovery point yet with it but I only have one utility that I use that I never tried again to get VirtualBox XP to work when I couldn't those many years ago. Sad what Microsoft did to XP; the paranoid in me thinks it was on purpose. lol

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...e/1293039523/1
    Last edited by lylejk; 2013-12-12 at 10:46.

Thanks
    I was also hit by the Windows Update high CPU (50%) bug when I tried to check the latest updates. The update window was just spinning for over 10 minutes. It worked fine on Dec 4 and failed Dec 12.

I took a clue from Susan Bradley and downloaded the December 2013 Internet Explorer fix [MS13-097 KB2898785] directly from Microsoft and installed it manually, rebooted, and after that, Windows Update worked normally.

I hope this is helpful for other loungers.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    I was also hit by the Windows Update high CPU (50%) bug when I tried to check the latest updates. The update window was just spinning for over 10 minutes. It worked fine on Dec 4 and failed Dec 12.

I took a clue from Susan Bradley and downloaded the December 2013 Internet Explorer fix [MS13-097 KB2898785] directly from Microsoft and installed it manually, rebooted, and after that, Windows Update worked normally.

I hope this is helpful for other loungers.
    Yup - works for me too, though in my case I got it as part of Update Tuesday (it took about an hour lol)

Happy days!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah; at the time, I couldn't find the solution, so the shotgun approach for me. lolol

Still, now I have every update since SP3 and may put these on a thumbdrive for future XP rebuilds should I need them (had an issue with Virtualbox and lost my XP VM and had to build it from scratch once already).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wrote about it giving it a pass. check the past Patch Watch and you'll see my write up.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft offered me KB2850079 for Office 2010 and KB2837593 for Word 2010. However, the write-up says you must have Office 2010 SP2 install, and I do not (just have not got round to it). I am not sure why WU offered these two patches in that case, but I held off in case it creates problems installing on a SP1 system. The writeups give no indication as to what the patches comprise.

Just a heads up for other Loungers.

Chris B

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
    What about the KB 2862330 kernel update from MS13-081, left over from October?

It seems to have disappeared from all the charts!

Also, please, please, please add the YEAR to the "RELEASED" column of the charts; the dates are quickly becoming very confusing when trying to find an entry from a particular month, say KB 2862330 as mentioned above.
    KB2862330 refers to the description of the security bulletin. There are many individual patches for the various OSes to which it applies. See Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-081 for a list of the various fixes.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RE: Svchost running amok on Windows XP PCs

Got hit and then got lucky.

Was able to restore working windows update by uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling a fresh copy of IE8 downloaded from MSFT website.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    I wrote about it giving it a pass. check the past Patch Watch and you'll see my write up.
    Sorry Susan, JC said you'd OKed it and that was good enough for me

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is kb2847311 still on hold?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rc1299 View Post
    Is kb2847311 still on hold?
    In the newsletter of 28 November Susan gave the OK to install 2847311

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK; posted at the XP forum as to why XP has issues. Will post the link I found at Slashdot here too. Sad. In Microsoft's eyes, it's probably a good think XP updates ends in April (if they can milk WSUS for that long that is; lol).

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/12...ng-xp-machines

Lounger
    Thanks
    Like Chris B I have not yet installed Office 2010 SP2 since I don't recall seeing an "all clear" from Susan + my web search shows a mix of user results. And since O-2010 is working fine and I do not have any updates waiting that are dependent on SP2 I have not been motivated. But with year end approaching and trying to get this off my update list, did I miss an ok from Susan to install SP2? Or any suggestions or links re installing SP2 on a Win7 Pro machine? Thanks .. TGH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast