5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 mice: Pointing in the right direction

BEST HARDWARE

Windows 8 mice: Pointing in the right direction

By Michael Lasky

Windows 8's signature feature, touchscreen navigation, is a poor choice for most traditional PC applications. But new devices nicely blend the familiarity of the classic mouse with the speed of Win8's new touch-and-swipe commands.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-hardware/windows-8-mice-pointing-in-the-right-direction/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    I suppose if I were on the road, rather than at home, I might want one of these devices.

But there's one thing that would be irritating with all of them -- I would have to keep up with batteries.

I really like the simple plug-and-play, always-on aspect of a wired mouse. You plug it in and it works. End of story.

Unless you are not by the computer, you have no need for a wireless mouse (or wireless keyboard, for that matter). Going wireless adds unnecessary complications -- the batteries go out, and you then have to replace them; sometimes you have to "relearn" the connection.

In my job, I sometimes get service calls from users with desktop computers and wireless mouse/keyboard. Their mouse or keyboard has quit working. A tech must then visit the user in order to assist them in getting the device to start working again.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-12-12 at 12:11.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I suppose if I were on the road, rather than at home, I might want one of these devices.

But there's one thing that would be irritating with all of them -- I would have to keep up with batteries.

I really like the simple plug-and-play, always-on aspect of a wired mouse. You plug it in and it works. End of story.

Unless you are not by the computer, you have no need for a wireless mouse (or wireless keyboard, for that matter). Going wireless adds unnecessary complications -- the batteries go out, and you then have to replace them; sometimes you have to "relearn" the connection.

In my job, I sometimes get service calls from users with desktop computers and wireless mouse/keyboard. Their mouse or keyboard has quit working. A tech must then visit the user in order to assist them in getting the device to start working again.
    Mobile devices don't have ports to plug in a mouse, keyboard or lots of USB devices. USB on these devices is not the full-width port. So wired is simply not an option.

More to the point, even after over a year of development, why are we still fooling around with hardware kludges and third-party desktop simulators? Because of one inescapable fact about Windows 8/8.1:

It JUST DOESN'T WORK as a Desktop Operating System!

Microsoft has as much as conceded this point in recent press releases and other statements to the tech press. Windows moving forward is going to be divided into two distinct classes (not counting Business and Server Windows). Smartphones and Tablets will get RT with the tiles. Laptops and desktop workstations will get back to a real desktop for running x86 and x64 applications.

Anyway this seems to be the tech press concensus of what's in store for Windows in the near future.

Plans can change, but the way things are with the current crop of Windows 8 devices and the GUI design itself, Microsoft and its partners are having a very hard time selling full-sized computers and tablets. Windows 8/8.1 is widely regarded as the obstacle, and the Tiles interface is widely viewed as the main deterrent for consumers and businesses to upgrade or purchase new devices.

I think it is widely known here in The Lounge and elsewhere where I post, that I have become so disgusted with Windows 8 that I switched to Ubuntu Linux for my Toshiba Satellite (non-Touch) laptop. I have had some difficulties setting up Ubuntu, but overall, I would NEVER switch back to Windows as its interface now stands. NEVER!

I keep Windows 7 running just in case something crops up which I simply cannot handle in Linux. So far, barring an ISP upgrade (and the whole Netflix issue), no problems have arisen which I could not solve from within Ubuntu. Netflix and other streaming apps are best handled on tablets when Android 64-bits on Intel comes out sometime around Q2-Q3 2014. A generic Chromecast-like HDMI stick will tie the laptop and the tablet together with my HDTV dis[play. (This may require a router upgrade, long overdue for my old WEP 2-Wire SBC modem-router.) Perfection is not guaranteed, but this looks like a good setup.

My next PC may well be one of those new Android-Intel tablets.

Enough said.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-12-28 at 14:10.
    -- Bob Primak --