5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making use of unallocated hard-drive space

LANGALIST PLUS

Making use of unallocated hard-drive space

By Fred Langa

Some hard-drive setups waste space even on brand-new systems. Here's how to make sure every bit of your drive is available for use. Plus: Getting files off a password-protected PC, running Microsoft Works and Money on Windows 8, and solving email file-attachment woes.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/making-use-of-unallocated-hard-drive-space/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    > The company's (Intuit) immensely popular, standalone Quicken software (site) starts at under U.S. $30 <

A lot of your readers, including me, do not live in the US. And sadly there is no Quicken version for the UK. The best alternative I've found is Banktree's Personal Finance. But that's a very poor substitute for Quicken.
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

You had a great article today--I got a lot from your description of different kinds of computer passwords.

However, I'm afraid you may have sent Susan on a bit of a rabbit trail, at least in her search for the retired Microsoft Money. When Microsoft discontinued the Money product, they released something called the 'Sunset' edition. The problem was that Microsoft wanted to shut down their activation servers for Money, but didn't want to lock existing customers out from installing the software, and possibly accessing financial data. The solution, then, was to release a version of Money that doesn't require activation, and is available as a free download. You can find the program here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=20738 . It supports Windows 7, and should therefore run just fine on Windows 8 and 8.1.

Hope that's helpful!

- Jonathan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft Money isn't supported anymore but it still functions fine. When Microsoft ended development of it they created two versions of "Microsoft Money Sunset Edition" available for free download (see description here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2118008.) These have the on-line banking features disabled but you can still import QIF files after downloading these files from your bank's web site. Its just the automated bank connection and import that has been disabled.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Money

Regarding Microsoft Money, I'm the author of a one-stop reference / blog at http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/ to document and share my endeavors to continue obtaining the "online" data without going through Microsoft's servers, rather than changing to Quicken, GnuCash, Moneydance, Mint, Yodlee, etc. as I’m of the opinion that Microsoft Money is far superior to those mentioned, especially in regards to the intuitive user interface and flexible reporting capabilities.

In addition to QIF files, "Sunset" Money continues to process OFX and QFX files as well and is compatible with Windows 8 (and 8.1).
    Last edited by ameridan; 2013-12-12 at 12:32.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Recover Files from Password Protected PC

I volunteer at a local thrift shop and bring home donated PCs to see if they can be cleaned up enough to sell. Brought home a Vista that had one password-protected User ID, and nothing else. There was absolutely no way in, at least that I knew of. With a search, I found on pcsupport.about.com a DOS program called Offline NT Password and Registry Editor. Mind you, this is real DOS, so be prepared! There are complete instructions. After answering all the questions, it offered me all the passwords existing on the system, asking which one(s) I wanted to delete. Deleted the offending ID and the system was wide open. Hello! Sold for $100.
    Kris

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kris love For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2013-12-28),timsinc (2013-12-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kris love View Post
    Recover Files from Password Protected PC

I volunteer at a local thrift shop and bring home donated PCs to see if they can be cleaned up enough to sell. Brought home a Vista that had one password-protected User ID, and nothing else. There was absolutely no way in, at least that I knew of. With a search, I found on pcsupport.about.com a DOS program called Offline NT Password and Registry Editor. Mind you, this is real DOS, so be prepared! There are complete instructions. After answering all the questions, it offered me all the passwords existing on the system, asking which one(s) I wanted to delete. Deleted the offending ID and the system was wide open. Hello! Sold for $100.
    YIKES!! Makes one think twice about donating a computer without first wiping or removing the Hard Drive!
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kris love View Post
    There was absolutely no way in, at least that I knew of.
    When I read this my immediate thought was, "What's wrong with the popular linux-based offline password reset tool?" It works, and it's been around for a long time (I first started using it during the XP era).

Then:

I found on pcsupport.about.com a DOS program called Offline NT Password and Registry Editor. Mind you, this is real DOS
    Oh, that's exactly what kris found. Small correction, though--it's linux-based, not DOS.

I've used the utility for years and it comes in handy when a client drops off a Windows computer they want "cleaned up" or checked for viruses, but forgets to mention there's a Windows login password. So I strip off the password*, clean it up, return it and nonchalantly inform the client I removed their password so to recreate it again if they want it.

Not only does it save delays trying to get back in touch to get the password, it serves as a dramatic illustration for the client that one's personal files aren't kept private just because you have a password to your Windows account. It doesn't take an uber-hacker and is relatively trivial to do, so if you've got something sensitive to protect don't just rely on a login password to keep your stuff private. I can tell people that until I'm blue in the face, but sometimes a simple demonstration like this sinks in more effectively.

* Warning: do not use this utility if there are EFS encrypted files or you will lose access to those files.