New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Media Center video woes

I have a system running Windows 7 Pro with all updates to which I have a video capture unit which captures video with Media Center in the WTV format.

When I try to edit a captured WTV file in Windows Movie Maker, I am able to edit quite easily, but when I try to save the file, nothing seems to happen. A progress bar window appears, but no indication of progress (i.e., the movement left to right of a green bar) happens; cpu activity does not increase, nor does hard drive activity.

After waiting for up to 10 minutes for any progress, I give up and cancel the save, whereupon Movie Maker locks up. Until recently, I was able to get around this problem by first converting the wtv file to dvr-ms format by right clicking on the wtv file and selecting the appropriate menu item "convert to dvr-ms format".

However, for whatever reason, this menu item is suddenly no longer present.

So, now I have two problems; #1 being why Movie Maker will not save an edited (or un-edited for that matter) wtv file, and #2, what happened to my right click menu option of converting to dvr-ms?

Windows Movie Maker is pretty much useless to me for these two reasons. When the right click option was available, I could load the resultant dvr-ms file into Movie Maker, make edits, and save the file to wmv format just fine.

So why can't Movie Maker do it with a wtv file? As I understand it, the wtv format was to replace dvr-ms; but what good is a replacement that can't be edited and saved in Movie Maker?

Now, with my option to convert to dvr-ms gone, I can't do anything with Windows Movie Maker.
    Any help?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did find this snippet on the idealshare site:

"If you cannot find the "convert to dvr-ms" option in your right-click menu, try setting "Windows Media Center" as the default program to open .wtv files, instead of "Windows Media Player", which is set by default. After changing the default program you will see the right-click option you are familiar with".

I'm not at my home computer at this time, but I'm going to try this when I can. The item above applies to Windows 8, but sounds like the same difficulty I'm currently experiencing. I am also going to look into the software on that site and the mctvconverter site. Thanks, and I'll try to let you know how this works out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, please let us how it goes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I have jumped through many hoops, but I still cannot get any satisfaction.

The solution I really need is to get the right-click menu option for "convert to dvr-ms" restored to my Windows 7 computers. I do not know what happened to cause this, but both of my Windows 7 computers no longer have the option to convert wtv to dvr-ms when I right click on a wtv file.

I've searched and searched for this on-line to no avail...has anyone else had this problem? It began for me about a month ago. I decided today to do a system restore on one of the machines, but I don't have a restore point that goes back that far.

The original problem is not being able to get Windows Movie Maker to function properly. If I load a wtv file into it, I can edit, but when I try to save the file, a progress bar appears, but then nothing else happens. The bar never starts to increase.

So, for a while, I was able to get Movie Maker to work correctly by first converting the wtv file to a dvr-ms file. After making edits and hitting the save movie as option, it would pop up the progress bar which would show progress as it should and save the file as a wmv file.

But now, my right-click option to convert to dvr-ms is gone. I wasn't even doing this on my other Windows 7 computer, but when I checked, it, too, no longer had the right-click option.

What the heck is going on?

I found a website that offered a free stand-alone program that converts wtv to dvr-ms at the command line, and this seemed to work; however, the resultant dvr-ms file would not load into Movie Maker at all. When I try to play the resultant file in VLC media player, it displays but plays poorly, with a choppy output that would not be viewable.

I found another program called the "Kingsley wtv video editor", which appeared to be rather old, but since there did not seem to be any other programs out there for directly editing wtv files, I gave it a shot. It actually works quite well for what it is, a simple editor without any fancy effects. After making editing points, the program saves to a .ts format file that retains the full HD appearance of the original wtv file. I was quite satisfied with this, so,
    I decided to purchase this, and have sent the needed money via PayPal to the author, but so far have not received an unlock key, and the software has stopped functioning after 5 days of use. From the look of the website, there has not been much, if any activity; a forum shows no posts, so I may have run up another blind alley again.

I feel like if I could get the right-click option back on my Windows 7 machine, I could at least go back to where I was before all this began and then perhaps find a better editor for dvr-ms files.

OK, sheesh, this is embarrassing, but I figured out how to get the right click option back. You have to right click on the wtv file, then select "open with", then select "Windows Media Center" and make sure to check the "always open with this program" box. I think I wasn't doing that last part, so my changes were not sticking.

So now it's working again. Sorry to bother everyone with this, but maybe someone else out there can benefit from this experience. I am now going to look into good editors for the dvr-ms file format.

What I'm looking for it to maintain the high resolution ouput of the wtv/dvr-ms file with not so much regard to file size.
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
    Last edited by Barnbaby; 2013-12-28 at 10:30.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am glad you solved your problem and thanks for posting about what you did to solve it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnbaby View Post
    OK, sheesh, this is embarrassing, but I figured out how to get the right click option back. You have to right click on the wtv file, then select "open with", then select "Windows Media Center" and make sure to check the "always open with this program" box. I think I wasn't doing that last part, so my changes were not sticking.

So now it's working again. Sorry to bother everyone with this, but maybe someone else out there can benefit from this experience.
    Well I'm tucking the information in my memory bank, where it may or may not stick these days. I didn't/wouldn't have thought missing/incorrect file association but it makes sense.