New Lounger
    Thanks

Did system restorem now no access to installed files or programs

I (stupidly?) tried to use System Restore to get rid of Internet Explorer 11. It backfired badly. I left for work and came home to a screen that tells me I have no access to my files so please log on as a different user. Huh? Rebooted and got the same screen. Now trying to do a System Restore to get back to where I was before the first System Restore. If this sounds like a relatively novice user, you are correct. I would like to know how I (the only user) can get the computer back to where it was before I had the brilliant idea to do a System Restore in the first place.... and have my files AND software back on my computer. Probably simple but I am, obviously, lost. Many thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge,

I am sorry about your problem. I have never heard of a similar situation. Are you able to login at all? When does the message show?

I fear I could not recommend the original restore, though. IE 11 should be uninstalled from the control panel, like any other app.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Rui,
    Many thanks for your kind response.
    The message appears after Windows has finished loading. The computer appears almost as clear as if I had just purchased it and turned it on.
    Right now Windows has taken it upon itself to do Start Up Repair which is still processing.
    Unfortunately, at this point, using the control panel is a moot point (something I hadn't thought of at the time) considering where the computer is going.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi again,

So, you are able to login, but you get a desktop that's different from your regular desktop, is that it?

I didn't mean to suggest that you should try an IE uninstall, right now. I think the priority should be getting the computer to work "normally", for you. I suspect that your profile may have become corrupted, somehow, but I will wait for your reply to my questions here, to suggest an alternative path.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again Rui,
    I am not doing an IE uninstall, I was doing a second System Restore trying to get to where I started out this morning. When I checked a few minutes ago I saw the computer screen message that Windows did not start so it was, on it's own, performing a Start Up Repair. I did NOT initiate this Start Up Repair.
    Yes, you are correct, I am able to start the computer but the desktop is different (missing files and programs) from "normal".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, I would try the system restore then. I would think there will be no issues recovering your usual desktop, documents, etc, once system restore completes.

The fact that Windows was having problems booting, hopefully, won't be a sign of any serious issue with the harddrive.

Let me know how it goes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Rui, I'll give that a try. All the best to you and thank you for your insight and patience.~ Christina

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome, Christina, let me know how it goes.

When you come back, I will impose on your patience and suggest you start a backup regimen based on imaging that can, ultimately, "save" you from any situations similar to this one, whatever the cause.

Regards
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Rui, Impose away! I found my files on the computer but my profile will not load. Right now I am doing said backup of files, favorites, etc. I did find my receipt for the computer which had 24/7 tech support. The tech said it is a registry error because Windows has loaded a temporary profile. The backup of my desktop is continuing as I type on my laptop. Once the backup of files is done then I can face the issues of the profile with less stress. I also now have a backup schedule on my calendar. No exceptions, no excuses.
    I will keep you posted with updates if you wish. Many thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Absolutely, do let me know how it goes.

Your support tech confirms my initial guess - the profile is "corrupted", so Windows loads a temporary profile instead, which is why you could not see your usual desktop with shortcuts, etc. Hopefully a previous restore point will work.

If things go bad, you can always create a new profile, by creating a new account and then copying your stuff from the older account. It's not hard to do and there are detailed instructions online to accomplish it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds great.

Backups are continuing and then I'll try the restore point. IF restore does not work then a new profile and I'll do a google search on how to create a new profile if that is needed.

Rui, you have no idea how much your "hand holding" across the ethers is appreciated. Truly, words do not adequately express my gratitude.

All the best,

Christina

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am glad I can be of help and that is the whole purpose of the Lounge .

A new profile means a new account, so that is the first step you need to take. Once that is done, here is a quick link from Microsoft on how to copy stuff from an old profile to a new one: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7
    Rui
    -------
    R4