Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

[SOLVED] Damaged fonts prevent updates to Segoe, IE10 and IE11 - 64 bit Home

I have some damage either to my fonts folder, or to the registry entries relating to the fonts, and the following updates fail repeatedly. I believe the fault may have occurred when some malware reset the permissions on many files to hidden. The first to fail was KB2729094 which is an update to the Segoe font. Unfortunately KB2729094 is a pre-requisite for IE10 and IE11.

• Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2729094) - Failed - Error details: Code 80070005
    • Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems - Failed - Error details: Code 9C57
    • Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems - Failed - Error details: Code 9C57

I have searched extensively for a resolution based on un-installing and re-installing all my fonts but have found nothing. I have tried installing IE10 and IE11 from the MS download but they fail as needing KB2729094.

When I run sfc /scannow I get the following error messages:

2013-11-27 16:31:35, Info CSI 00000097 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"micross.ttf" of Microsoft-Windows-Font-TrueType-MicrosoftSansSerif, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file cannot be checked

... plus 32 more including "times.ttf", "sseriffe.fon" etc

2013-11-27 16:31:37, Info CSI 000000b9 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"plantc.ttf" of Microsoft-Windows-Font-TrueType-Plantagenet, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file cannot be checked

and sfc then fails at about 19% done. The files it refers to are in the fonts folder and "look OK" to me.

Microsoft FixIt for Windows Update did not help.

I am sure that a way of a way of installing KB2729094 would allow IE10 and IE11 to be installed and fixing it. Failing that, a way of un-installing all my fonts and re-installing them should fix it, but no-one seems to know how to do that.

I would greatly appreciate any help as the only thing left seems to be re-installing the whole system which, because I have an OEM version of W7 means a disk format and re-installing all my (about 30!) applications and data.

Why, oh why, didn't I partition the disk and put the OS in its own partition ... sigh ...
    Last edited by John_Ha; 2013-12-12 at 19:54.

Thanks
    Perhaps deleting and having Windows rebuild the icon database would help. I use a batch file for this chore if it occurs perhaps this would help you. Copy the code and paste it into Notepad. Save to your desktop as a "RebuildIconCache.bat" file. Run the batch file and see if this solves your problem.

Code:
    @echo off
    cls
    echo The Explorer process must be killed to delete the Icon DB. 
    echo Please SAVE ALL OPEN WORK before continuing
    pause
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F 
    echo Attempting to delete Icon DB...
    If exist %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db goto delID
    echo Previous Icon DB not found...trying to build a new one
    goto :main

:delID
    cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    del IconCache.db /a
    pause
    echo Icon DB has been successfully deleted
    goto main

:main
    echo Windows 7 must be restarted to rebuild the Icon DB. 
    echo Restart now? (Y/N):
    set /p choice=
    If %choice% == y goto end
    echo Restart aborted...please close this window 
    explorer.exe

:end
    shutdown /r /t 0
    exit
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Are you aware when the fonts issue occurred?

Do you have another computer with Windows 7 from which you can copy the font files for the current corrupt fonts?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Perhaps deleting and having Windows rebuild the icon database would help.
    What have icons got to do with fonts?

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Are you aware when the fonts issue occurred?

Do you have another computer with Windows 7 from which you can copy the font files for the current corrupt fonts?
    Rui. Thanks for your response.

Q1 It was about 18 - 24 months ago.

Q2 I tried uninstalling the faulty font files listed in the sfc report, and re-installing them with copies taken from another W7 Home PC but it had no effect.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.
    Joe. Thanks for your response.
    I was running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui. Thanks for your response. That's an interesting suggestion - effectively delete IconCache.db and allow W7 to rebuild it for me - but before I do it, can you suggest why it is likely to affect my fonts?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Ha View Post
    Rui. Thanks for your response. That's an interesting suggestion - effectively delete IconCache.db and allow W7 to rebuild it for me - but before I do it, can you suggest why it is likely to affect my fonts?
    Just to say this was (obviously) not my suggestion.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico - thanks (got the name right this time!)

Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference apart from increasing the size of IconCache.db from 3,731 to 3,769 KB

Administrator
    Thanks
    John,

Check this advice from here:

All you need to do is reinstall your Windows fonts. To do this, you need to figure out where your fonts folder is – mine is at c:\Windows\Fonts. Don’t bother going to the actual folder – the Windows 7 interface won’t let you reinstall the fonts from there. Instead, what you need to do is hit the Windows icon (bottom left-hand corner of the screen or the Windows symbol button on your keyboard) and type in c:\Windows\Fonts\Arial.ttf (you may need to change part of that if your Fonts folder is in a different place).

A window will pop up for Arial OpenType with two buttons at the top: Print and Install. Hit Install. It may say: “The ‘Arial’ font is already installed, do you want to replace it?” This means it wasn’t missing in the first place (but you may as well reinstall it all the same). Or it may just do it, which means it was missing. This is what you’re trying to find and fix – the ones that are missing.

So, what I would suggest is that you replace the problem font files and then install them in this way and see if that fixes you issue. You may even try just installing the fonts without replacement first.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    John,

Check this advice from here:

[I]All you need to do is reinstall your Windows fonts.
    Rui

Thanks. I tried that and it had no effect - I still could not install KB2729094. The only thing it did was, when I reinstalled segoeui.ttf, it created a new file segoeui_0.ttf which had the same size, date and time as the original segoeui.ttf. I am assuming that the new file would now be registered correctly in the Registry.

I also tried it with micross.ttf, the first file on the sfc failure log. It created micross_01.ttf as expected. When I re-ran sfc /scannow, it again failed saying micross.ttf could not be checked.

I wish I understood the error message to see what I needed to fix!

I believe that I can ask Microsoft for help as this is an update which is failing, so I don't need a support contract.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am not sure whether the fonts are what prevents you from completing your updates, so I will just consider that. I haven't ever dealt with this situation, so my advice is just how I would try to deal with the issue.

I would try and remove the fonts in question and once removed, making sure I would be removing the original fonts that generated the error messages:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314960

Once removed I would ran sfc again. I would then re-add the fonts the same way you did before.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui

Many thanks. You gave me enough hints to solve it. This is what I did to fix it, and what I THINK! was the problem.

First I read the sfc error messages properly - they say "Cannot repair member file" and "file cannot be checked" which got me thinking it might be a permissions problem. This idea was re-inforced by the fact that I could not delete some of the font files in C:\windows\fonts\ (although, surprisingly, I could rename them!). The sfc error file was actually very useful - it is in C:\Windows\logs\CBS.

I then went looking for all folders containing segoe*.ttf files and came across the five folders in C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-font-truetype-segoeui_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_2cb0f 5602bedb50f" etc as below.

I had 5 versions of folders containing segoe*.ttf files, all with slightly different names, namely:
    "C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-font-truetype-segoeui_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_2cb0f 5602bedb50f"
    "C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-font-truetype-segoeui_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.17057_none_2cd34 93e2bd3b616"
    "C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-font-truetype-segoeui_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.21258_none_2d5de 83944f06c5e"
    "C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-font-truetype-segoeui_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17888_none_2e9a6 08e29115911"
    "C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-font-truetype-segoeui_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.22045_none_2f4c1 44d42117054"

When I looked inside these folders I found that some of the segoe*.ttf files gave no permissions to SYSTEM or ADMINISTRATOR, and USER only had READ permission!!! It was then obvious what was happening - Windows update couldn't see these files to do the installation, and so the update failed. I modified all the segoe*.ttf files in all five folders to give SYSTEM and ADMINISTRATOR full permissions (r-click > Properties > security > Add > type in SYSTEM > tick FULL CONTROL and repeat for ADMINISTRATOR). I tried to install the update and it went in OK.

It was then strange. I could see the segoe*.ttf files from the CMD window (but could not delete or rename them), but they did not appear in C:\Windows\Fonts; nor when I typed "C:\Windows\Fonts" into the START box. I have a font manager, and it couldn't see them either. I think the reason for this is that W7 Update just wrote the fiels into the fonts folder, but did not add an entry in the registry pointing to the files. I needed to create that link by installybg the font files properly.
    I decided it was simplest to copy the files out onto the desktop using the CMD window, and then r-click each file on the desktop and choose Install. This installed the segoeui.ttf file as segoeui_0.ttf into C:Windows\Fonts and all worked. I now have two identical files, one calles segoeui.ttf and teh one being used called segoeui_0.ttf.

So, my guess is that the update was somehow corrupted and W7 update was then never able to resolve the problem.

I shall now go and examine all the other font files reported in the failed sfc run and check their permissions. With luck I will be able to reset them and get sfc to run to completion.

I then installed IE10 and it has gone in OK - I am just about to reboot to complete the install.

Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

nb - I cannot seem to set the Title to SOLVED ... can you please do that for me as administrator
    Last edited by John_Ha; 2013-12-12 at 20:35.

Administrator
    Thanks
    John, well done for fixing it . Some insightful observations there, too .

I am glad the problem is solved and thank you for posting the solution.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast