New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 stuck in repair loop?

I tried searching the forum for other post(s), and I did find one similar..but it

was dated 12/2012, and it appeared to still be open, but I didn't want to post

on a very old posting? That being said, I have an HP Touchsmart 14 Sleekbook

that is in a continuous automatic repair loop , 1 problem no DVD drive.

I have tried many times to get into safe mode (which I believe is now shift + F8)

either I'm too slow OR it's not working. Also have tried to hook up an external USB

DVD drive and it won't boot to it either, also tried a usb thumbdrive to boot to, again

no go. Can someone please help me? I have discovered the fact the Windoze 8 is

different, and a plain ole ISO file will not work, you need an extra file? I have run diagnostics

and the drive failed the test, but I don't know if that is because perhaps this repair loop

has caused the drive not to read/write correctly because the repair process has not finished,

or the drive is bad? I have scoured many forums, and tried many so called fixes etc but to no

avail. I have tried all I know to do and I would appreciate any help on a remedy for this.

Desperate
    Thanks in advance

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Safe Mode is very difficult to access with Windows 8. However, you could boot with a Windows install disk and do a repair / non-destructive install. To do this, you will need to connect (and boot from) an external USB CD/DVD drive. You will also need to get a Windows install disk that is the exact same version of Windows that is currently on your computer.

Power off your computer; get an external USB CD/DVD drive, and connect it to your computer. Put the Windows disk in the drive.

Now power on your computer. Hit ESC several times as soon as it powers on; this will bring you to a start menu, where you can then hit F10 to go into the computer setup.

In the setup, go to the Boot Order, and select USB CD/DVD (or something similar to that) as your first boot device.

Save the settings, then reboot. It will boot from the external DVD drive.

Now you can make some progress with the repair.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-12-12 at 11:51.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not have the windows install disk, i have an idea it's an OEM version, being it's an HP? Is there a place to download like a windows oem disk?

And thanks for the quick reply!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

I am sorry about your situation.

Have you repeated the diagnostics? Does the drive fail that repeatedly?

P.S.: Booting to safe mode in Windows 8: http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-12-12)

Thanks
    Very helpful info. I planned to one day sit down and figure that out (i.e. how to get into Safe mode).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried shift + F8 several times, and I could NOT get it to go into Safe Mode. How

quick do you have to be? Also, I did not run diagnostics again, disappointed with the

results caused me to go back to googling. If I run diagnostics multiple times and the

result constantly show the harddrive failing...would this point to it being and actual

hardware issue and not a Windoze one?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I would try the diagnostics again. If the harddrive is failing, yes, that can cause windows to fail to boot.

About safe mode, just press SHIFT repeatedly after you see the computer starting to boot. First picture on the screen, get SHIFT stuck and press F8 repeatedly.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I will try that as soon as I can this evening...

I tried the button to do a 'back to factory settings', that would've worked,

I wasn't sure if it would allow me to do a "reset" without losing data? If would

that would suit me fine....I just checked on the HP Warranty -- and it does

still have warranty on it, so if need be I can get the harddrive replaced.

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Factory settings will make you lose all your data.

Let us know how things go.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You haven't described what the loop consists of. Do you ever get to a lock or login screen?

Bruce