New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2010 won't reinstall

I have a copy of MS Office 2010 that I obtained through MSDN license. (en_office_professional_plus_2010_x86_515486.exe) I had it installed on this machine and had to reinstall. Removed Office and reinstalled my original release (and MS download also) and re-entered the license key. The key is validated and the installation runs. However, the install terminates with "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 encountered an error during setup." Uh, yeah...

Microsoft community suggested removing help folder (done), doing from a clean boot (tried) -- all didn't help. There is nothing in the Administrative events log except two warnings that .../Office14/Visio Content/ cannot be found. No other errors or warnings. This is an old license, I no longer have MS support thru MSDN.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Jim

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Office installer, like almost all Windows installers, uses the Windows Installer Service (msiexec.exe). You can set an entry in the registry that causes msiexec to write a verbose log file to the Temp folder. Instructions and a FixIt button are in the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300.

The log file, especially for an installation as big and complex as Office, will be many megabytes of nearly incomprehensible stuff. It's plain text, though, and you can search it for the word Error (or for the exact text of the error message if you have it). Somewhere in the dozen or so entries before that will be clues to the exact cause of the failure.

If you want me or other folks here to investigate, post the log file on a public share on SkyDrive, DropBox, or the like and reply with the URL.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjfreedman For This Useful Post:

JimRoberts (2013-12-15),mngerhold (2013-12-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks; grabbed the log but couldn't see anything wrong (except it didn't work)

Knowing the msi installer logging control is major; thanks! I ran again after cleaning out my temp folder. It generated 16 MSI*.log files. Those I peered at all wound up saying

"MSI (s) (80:78) [14:22:32:840]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Office InfoPath MUI (English) 2010. Product Version: 14.0.4763.1000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0."

but I don't see the @#$@ office suite anywhere and I still get the "...error during setup" on the window. I take it "error status" 0, means no (fatal) errors? Searched files for "error" and the like and don't see anything enlightening.

I've loaded the 16 log files onto my Dropbox public shared area. Now how to find it... The name on the account is "Jim Roberts" but that probably isn't definitive. I hate to post my email login ID here. I'll see if I can send you an email with it.

Really appreciate your suggestion and offer to take a look.

Jim

Tried send an email but blocked; what's safe way to give you my Dropbox link?
    Last edited by JimRoberts; 2013-12-15 at 15:50. Reason: Added info

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Get my email address from http://jay-freedman.info/contact/contact.htm. Use either of the two addresses posted there, they both wind up at the same place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jjfreedman For This Useful Post:

JimRoberts (2014-01-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First, copy the entire contents of the CD/DVD to the hard drive and try installing from there. If that doesn't work, have someone give you a copy of their Office disk and try installing it with your key.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to express my appreciation to Jay. He's given me a lot of help - going through logs of the install, providing support files... Really gone out of his way to help me. He's one of the people that make the WS community so great.

Thanks, Jay!