New Lounger
    Thanks

I copied my laptop HD to SSD & now I am not running legal windows?

First, It is an Asus N61JQ running win 7 "premium" (home) 64bit
    It came with a 500Gb HD, & 4gigs memory. I put in the max memory 8 gigs & a Seagate 240 GbSSD. All was fine while at home, but the system was only on for about an hour. I work 200 miles away, so I stay in my RV, & use a Verizon jet-pak for internet. The speed was still noticeable, but after work I fired up the lappy & got a notice that said I was running an unauthorized windows installation. I tried the "click here to resolve on line" button, & subsequently downloaded about 6 of the same "verify Windows (.exe)" but each, in turn, said "installation failed, try again later(error 0xL8000247)...thus the 6 try's. I still have the HD & memory, but would rather have the speed boost I was after in the first place. It enables me to play "Guild Wars" with my wife, kids, & grand-kids, with out suffering too much lag.
    I cant seem to be able to find a way to get to a point I can put in the Windows activation numbers?? I right click on "My Computer" & it says Windows is activated...but nothing (windows, or the win-defender) will update, & every time I boot up, it gives the same message that leads to a failure to install. One forum I hit (from the error #) said it was due to bad drivers to some Intel hi-speed gobdeldygook, but the link led to neverland...the "I'm doing stuff" thing just kept spinning, for over an hour. Any clue will be happily accepted.

Thanks in advance

Chuck

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking. This will stop some of the extraneous stuff from happening, and you'll be able to get on the internet if necessary.

To get to Safe Mode with Networking, power on the computer, and as soon as the Asus splash screen goes away, start hitting the F8 key. Soon you will see a menu; you'll be able to select Safe Mode with Networking.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

chuckinabox (2013-12-14)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck, hello.
    I am not surprised. Since the days of Win-95, MS has tightened up on its own security against pirating. When you install, or first run a machine, the programme will look all over your machine and store whatever makes it up. There used to be a WPA article around explaining this. Obviously, you do not satisfy the stored profile that was first "written" on your machine after you changed the HD, it is one of the saved parameters.
    You will have to contact MS by phone and explain what you are up to. The MS techie will likely ask you permission to connect to your machine, study it a bit and then validate it anew. MS will bend over backward to keep you as a user. I have had to do this repeatedly as I really give my machines a hard time. I do not have the phone numbers at hand, sorry. Try this URL : http://support.microsoft.com/get-sup...-problem-areas . You can also reach the W-7 techie there.

Be good and have fun. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-12-15 at 16:03.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

chuckinabox (2013-12-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Intel SSD came with a program to clone the old HD to new SSD. Actually it was an acronis trye image software and worked just fine.
    Chuck Yours didn't come with something like that?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to veegertx For This Useful Post:

chuckinabox (2013-12-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes it did, I did the same thing, clone (externally) install, & had it up & running. I thought it was fine, it ran for an hour & no errors. I packed it up & headed back to my rv for work, when I booted up Sunday night, it was almost instant with the error "this computer is not running genuine Windows". I believe Jeans' solution is what I am going to have to do, deal with the phone maze at Microsoft.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck, hello. No phone maze, a robot.
    When you go through the process with the automated Robot at MS, make sure that you only say "one" at the pertinent question. I thought that I had used a 3 license Familly W-7 DVD and said "two" when asked that I had already used it on that many machine. I had used a one license DVD !
    So, I went through the process again immediately after Robot said "Sorry", we can not proceed and hung up on me. The second time, I had been wizened up, it worked and the Genuine flag appeared on the screen. I was doing this for my friend, 1 hour drive away, and using Teamviewer. Fantastic tool !
    Let us know how you fare. A nice day to you in the RV. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Mine was a live person, who worked with me for over an hour, finally got the Windows activated screen & all was well (I thought). An hour later, I tried to do the windows update,it was a week behind, & it failed, after giving an error 0xL8000247 again, the same old nag "You are not running Genuine Windows" came back. I have put the HD back in & all is well. When the fella on the phone did a chkdsk on the SSD he said there were some "corrupted" files on the disc. My guess is the "Seagate" version of "Accronis" is at fault, or the SSD itself. A chkdsk on the original HD is clean, & it is 3 yrs old! Ah well, I will be building a desktop soon & will try a clean install on the SSD (after reformatting)
    I would like to thank you all for the help, but I give up. I may try another, probably Crucial, at a later date when the price for a matching size comes down.
    Thanks again
    Chuck