New Lounger
    Thanks

intermittent loss of usb 2 revisited

have gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud5 with amd fx-8150 running Windows 7 pro 64 bit. about 2 months ago usb mouse and keyboard quit working. a power reset and they would work again for a few days. i thought it was my old logitech wireless usb mouse and keyboard so got a new one. same problem. i have also discovered that when this happens all usb 2 ports quit working and not only for mouse and keyboard but any other device i plug in. i suspected a win update as the cause but uninstall of last few months has made no difference. also have cleaned out hidden and ghost usb drivers in device manager using Device Manager : Hidden Devices. any help much appreciated. originally wrong post about mouse and printer. also, later discovered all usb 2 ports would shut down. do not have any usb 3 devices to check usb 3.
    Last edited by obxeye; 2013-12-16 at 18:47. Reason: wrong info

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you moved any other wireless devices near the PC recently?

Have you tried a different USB port?

Joe

Thanks
    If it was only the keyboard and mouse, I would suggest that you get a wired keyboard and mouse.

Since you are also having printer connectivity problems, then there is probably a USB issue.

Go into Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers listing. If any item has a yellow or red marker, right-click on it and choose Uninstall.

After you have uninstalled all such items, right-click on the top item in the list (the one with the name of your computer), and choose Scan for Hardware Changes. This will reinstall the problematic items that you uninstalled in the previous step.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    no other wireless devices.
    happens on all usb ports.
    thanks for reply joe.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    sorry, meant keyboard and not printer.
    no problems in device manager.
    thanks for reply mrjimphelps

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree with Joe that it sounds like local interference.

Have you noticed if you lose wireless Internet connectivity when the mouse and printer go out ?

Cordless phone bases nearby are usual suspects, but don't suppose you have your Christmas tree up with flashing lights ?

This Kitz article may give you something else to look for as to a source of REIN http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks
    is mouse and keyboard and not printer...sorry.
    no new local possible interference.
    hard wired tower. gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud5 with amd fx-8150, ge force gtx570 and 16gig ram. 2 years old without a hiccup.
    thanks lounger

Thanks
    If it's only the mouse and keyboard, try connecting a wired mouse and keyboard.

If you are sitting where the computer is sitting, then you really don't need a wireless mouse and keyboard. The reason I say this is because wireless has more potential for problems than wired, and there's no need for the hassles if you're right there by the computer.