3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Widely varying boot times

My boot times vary widely, as shown on the attached Soluto file - in fact it is about a further minute before I can usefully use Windows Live Mail. I have removed everything practical from boot up, what is left is the anti-virus program - any clues as to what I could do further. Once boot up is complete the computer works fine. I have also run sfc, malwarebytes, CCleaner, defrag etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I don't think there is much that you can do about it, to be honest, not more than what you have done already. That's just Windows. To improve on that very noticeably I would suggest either get a SSD or Windows 8 or both.

I would also not totally rely on Soluto's data about it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-12-13)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Other that what you have already done there are a couple of other things that can speed up Start times, which are to assign the computer with a static IP address and set the router and computer to use your ISP's specific DNS servers which you can Google for or use something like Open DNS or Google's DNS rather than have them set to auto.

In assigning the computer with a static IP address, you can either set it up in the router either as a Reserved address within in the DHCP range or outside of the DHCP range as you might do for a printer.

Your router manual should show you how to do this as you may have to change the DHCP range if you want to assign it outside of that, as well as making a note of the range that it uses which may go up to .254 max.

This tutorial will show you how to do it just in the computer's TCP/IPv4 Properties which you can do for either Network adapter or both and entering the command ipconfig /all from the command prompt will give you the Subnet Mask to use - it will also give you the Mac (Physical Address) for each adapter if you want to assign reserved address/addresses in the router.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/

After you have assigned the DNS servers in the computer, open a command prompt as an administrator and enter the following commands and hopefully that should stabilise the boot times.

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-12-13)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The computer (desktop) is connected by cable to the router - a basic one supplied by the ISP, the only instructions being how to connect it up. The computer is not on a network. I tried switching off the router but it makes no difference to boot-up time, although I cannot see how an internet connection could do so. From the first reply it seems as though my problem is not unusual - with the cost of an SSD and Windows 8 being high waiting an extra two or three minutes seems to be acceptable. Thanks again for both replies.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The first 9 don't cost anything http://lifehacker.com/5821865/top-10...dows-boot-time and I saw on another forum that someone had set their router and computer to their ISP's specific DNS and had managed to knock ~15 secs off the boot up time and doing so improved my boot up as well.

The LAN still requires a DHCP assigned IP and if the computer has wireless capability, then that will also be assigned a DHCP IP address whether you are using it or not - but as it made no difference with the router switched off then perhaps that's it.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2013-12-13 at 10:14.