Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Norm,

Sorry but you will also have to reinstall all of your software as there is no reasonable way to transfer the registry entries for those programs. Even if you could the registry setup for 64bit Windows TTBOMK is different. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-03-10)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I've got it. For the Windows 7 32-bit drive - run a back up then install Windows 7 64-bit - then reinstall software - then restore the back up.

Jim,

The two old hard drives are SATA and I have purchased two SATA cables so as to install them into the 8700. I looked inside the 8700 and could not find an easy way to physically install the two hard drives from my old system. Ultimately, I found the physical diagram and instructions to remove and replace (install) hardware for the 8700. It was difficult to find because it is labeled "Owner's Manual" which I thought would contain other simple instructions.

Also, two of my great nieces have loaded me down with two additional towers, two laptops and two tablets to repair. Actually I will transfer what I can salvage from the older towers into my old one that I am building for the one great niece.

When I start working on the laptops and tablets I'll open a new thread if I need help.

Norman

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by norm73 View Post
    I think I've got it. For the Windows 7 32-bit drive - run a back up then install Windows 7 64-bit - then reinstall software - then restore the back up.
    Norman, you've almost got it. The last step -- "restore the backup" -- should be, "copy the data from the backup to the hard drive". If you simply restore the backup, you'll be back to Windows 7 32-bit.

Also, after you have done a backup, make sure that you can copy files out of it, and then do the Windows 7 64-bit install. And do it as a clean, "wipe-the-drive" install, so as to totally eradicate Windows 7 32-bit. You don't want any Windows 7 32-bit remnants on the drive when you are running Windows 7 64-bit.

As long as you have verified that you have a good backup, you can then safely proceed with the new install.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-03-29)

Thanks
    The two old hard drives are SATA and I have purchased two SATA cables so as to install them into the 8700. I looked inside the 8700 and could not find an easy way to physically install the two hard drives from my old system. Ultimately, I found the physical diagram and instructions to remove and replace (install) hardware for the 8700. It was difficult to find because it is labeled "Owner's Manual" which I thought would contain other simple instructions.

Also, two of my great nieces have loaded me down with two additional towers, two laptops and two tablets to repair. Actually I will transfer what I can salvage from the older towers into my old one that I am building for the one great niece.

When I start working on the laptops and tablets I'll open a new thread if I need help.

Norman
    You actually don't need to "install" the hard drives into the computer. You could simply connect them, copy the data from them, then disconnect them. There are five SATA ports on the motherboard, and probably several SATA power connectors on the power supply.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-03-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,

I've just checked and the backup looks good and I can select the folders & files I wish to restore. I did not do an image.

I do plan to reformat the drive.

Tow truck is here so I have to run.

Norman

Thanks
    Let us know how it all goes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-03-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,

Well, I'm still working on my original old PC. I managed to do a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit on the drive that had the 32-bit version but then I could only boot from that drive even though previously I could boot from any of the three drives on that PC. I ran Repair from my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit disk and I regained the ability to boot from either SATA drive. I then disconnected the DVD drive and connected the IDE hard disk to the end port of the IDE cable but then things got really weird.

When I boot from the formerly 32-bit SATA drive Windows assigns D: to the other SATA drive and the IDE hard drive is E:.

But when I boot from the other SATA drive Windows assigns D: to the IDE hard drive and the formerly 32-bit SATA drive becomes E.

The IDE drive is no longer listed as a bootable drive although all three drives were listed before I did the 64-bit clean install. The IDE drive was not connected during that install process because I needed the port for the DVD drive.

Regarding the backup (on the IDE hard drive) - I was wrong about being able to simply copy from that so I partitioned the IDE drive and tried to restore to the new partition planning on copying from that restored version but there is a problem. I can restore to the partition but every file produces an error message: "Short names are not enabled on this volume. 0x80070131". I can get past that by clicking "Try Again" but I would have to do that hundreds of times. Is this problem because there is no OS in the new partition?

I am going to try connecting the DVD drive to the middle IDE port and then see if I can boot from my Windows disk to try the Repair option.

Thanks for staying with me,

Norman
    Last edited by norm73; 2014-03-23 at 15:12. Reason: Clarity

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That didn't work. The DVD drive works after booting but I cannot boot from a DVD with the drive connected to the middle IDE port. The DVD drive is at the top of my boot sequence in the BIOS but it says "(not present)"

Thanks
    Norman:

The following web page will tell you how to re enable 8.3 names on your computer:

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/121007

The main point of the page is how to disable 8.3 names. But it also tells you how to enable 8.3 names.

The advantage of disabling 8.3 names is that Windows will be faster. The disadvantage is that some older software might not be able to find files on your computer, because it doesn't have the capability of reading long file names.

Personally, I would enable 8.3 names, just to make sure that everything will work correctly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-03-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,

I ran the following command.

fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 0

Is that correct?

Any ideas on the other problems?

Norman

Thanks
    I've never run the command myself, but it looks correct to me. I assume you were enabling 8.3, because you put a zero at the end.

As long as you ran it from an elevated command prompt, you should be good to go. And that should clear up the problem you had with your backup.

I've never dual-booted from two separate hard drives. The way I have always done Windows is -- one version of Windows / one boot drive. If I were going to run a different OS, I would install a virtual machine and run the other OS in the VM. To me, that's a less complicated way to do it.

The way I install Windows is to first disconnect all hard drives except for the one I want to install Windows on; I then install Windows on that hard drive; I then reconnect any hard drives that I disconnected. This will guarantee that Windows will go on the correct drive, and that that drive will be assigned the drive letter C:.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-03-27 at 11:16.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-03-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,

Yes, 0 is the code to enable 8.3 and I always "Run as administrator". After typing the command and Enter(ing) it I was returned to the command prompt without any message so I assume it was correct.

I already have Windows 7 64-bit SP1 installed on the IDE drive but that is not listed on the boot menu. Do you have any idea what would happen if I disconnect the other drives and then reboot with the IDE hard drive connected to the end port and the disk drive (with my Windows 7 64-bit disk) connected to the middle IDE port. I cannot do an upgrade reinstall without removing SP1 as my Windows 7 disk won't install over an advanced version of Windows 7.

Can you explain to me why a drive (hard or disk) connected to the middle IDE cable port is not recognized by the system at boot?

By the way, with the 3 boot disk options on the boot menu I could just select the one I wanted to use (at boot) and the computer would proceed to start from that disk. I was using the different drives for different software as a way of giving added security. Actually, I started using separate OS boot options when I decided to try 64-bit. I had been using the 32-bit system and I knew there were still compatibility problems with 64-bit so I installed the 64-bit OS on my second drive.

Thanks
    Jim,

Yes, 0 is the code to enable 8.3 and I always "Run as administrator". After typing the command and Enter(ing) it I was returned to the command prompt without any message so I assume it was correct.
    If it took some time, then I also would assume that it ran successfully. If it returned immediately to the command prompt, then I would have some doubts as to the success of it.

You could test whether or not it was successful by opening a command prompt, going to various folders, and typing DIR [enter]. If the results include the long and the short file names, then it was successful. Be sure to test it on files which produced the original 8.3 error message.

I already have Windows 7 64-bit SP1 installed on the IDE drive but that is not listed on the boot menu. Do you have any idea what would happen if I disconnect the other drives and then reboot with the IDE hard drive connected to the end port and the disk drive (with my Windows 7 64-bit disk) connected to the middle IDE port. I cannot do an upgrade reinstall without removing SP1 as my Windows 7 disk won't install over an advanced version of Windows 7.
    It wouldn't hurt to try disconnecting the other drives and then try to boot from the one remaining connected drive. Just make sure that after you disconnect the other drives and then power up, go into the computer's setup and make sure that the one remaining hard drive is listed as a valid boot drive.

Can you explain to me why a drive (hard or disk) connected to the middle IDE cable port is not recognized by the system at boot?
    Either you don't have the drive included as a valid boot drive in the computer's setup, or perhaps your hard drive, hard drive cable, or your IDE port is going bad. Or maybe you have the drive's jumper set to "slave", and the computer's setup has it listed as "master" (or vice versa).

IDE could be the problem. One time I had an IDE DVD drive which wouldn't work for installing Windows 7. I put in another IDE DVD drive; same thing. I then put in a SATA DVD drive, and it worked without a hitch.

By the way, with the 3 boot disk options on the boot menu I could just select the one I wanted to use (at boot) and the computer would proceed to start from that disk. I was using the different drives for different software as a way of giving added security. Actually, I started using separate OS boot options when I decided to try 64-bit. I had been using the 32-bit system and I knew there were still compatibility problems with 64-bit so I installed the 64-bit OS on my second drive.
    I've never done multi-drive boot, so I can't comment much about your setup, except to say that my feeling has always been that it is a complicated setup, and therefore there is the potential for problems. I prefer to install one OS, and then set up virtual machines inside of the main OS for any other OSs that I want to run.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-03-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try switching out the disk drive with the other one that was also in my PC. One of them must have been master.

Thanks
    I'll try switching out the disk drive with the other one that was also in my PC. One of them must have been master.
    If I have only one drive on the IDE cable, I always set it to master. But I don't think it matters whether you use master or slave, when you have only one drive on the one cable. But if you have two devices on the same IDE cable, to keep them separate, one must be set to master and the other to slave, determined by the jumper on each device. And then the computer setup must match the way that you have set the jumper on each device.

As an alternative to using "master" and "slave", you could use "cable select". But it is never clearly shown which drive is master and which is slave when you use "cable select"; but the words "master" and "slave" are clearly imprinted on the drive, so you can know with certainty which drive is which, if you set the jumper to "master" or "slave". That's the way I have always done it, because I like to know for certain what I am dealing with.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-03-29)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast