New Lounger
    Thanks

I need to search my files for all files that contain a check mark or a table

First, I would like to say that I seem to be having a problem with this web site.

When I try to post a question, the Random Question at the top of the page
    does not always appear. Sometimes, I just see the words "Answer yes or no."
    But there is no question. I can eventually find a page with a question if I
    refresh the page enough times. Does anyone else have this problem?

Several years ago, I created a file that contains a check mark. I tried to
    paste a check mark into the Windows 7 search box, but that didn't work.
    Windows 7 does not seem to give you a way to type a check mark in a
    Windows 7 box.

You can change the font that Windows 7 uses to enter characters.

How do I find this file. There is a table in this file, and I don't create
    many files with tables.

Thank you for your help.

Admin: «Email Address removed for privacy» Please don't post email addresses.
    Last edited by macropod; 2014-03-30 at 02:09. Reason: Email Address Removed

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Frank,

Go to Accessories|System Tools|Character Map and scroll down to find the check mark (square root) character, then copy/paste it to your search box. Your search may be more complete if you supplement Windows Search with Agent Ransack, Search Everywhere or other improved searchers.

As to the "Random Question" issue, I'm not sure I understand. ??Are you logged in to the site as a user???

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think I am logged into your web site as a "user."

I think I am logged into your web site as a "user." I don't really understand your question.

Don't you have to answer a random question before you submit a reply?

You don't get questions like this?

Random Question:
    Which is smaller, a basketball or a baseball?
    baseball

Well, sometimes, I receieve the following
    request in place of your normal random
    question:

"Answer yes or no."

But there is no question. How can I answer yes or no,
    if no question has been asked.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Frank,

Go to Accessories|System Tools|Character Map and scroll down to find the check mark (square root) character, then copy/paste it to your search box. Your search may be more complete if you supplement Windows Search with Agent Ransack, Search Everywhere or other improved searchers.

As to the "Random Question" issue, I'm not sure I understand. ??Are you logged in to the site as a user???

Zig
    I don't understand you. First, a check mark is not a square root symbol. Second, I tried to tell you before that you can't copy and paste the check mark symbol into the Windows 7 search box.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The Unicode value for a check mark is U+2713. So you should be able to enter ALT+2713 in the search box. See Is there an ASCII Code for a "check mark"? and the links on that page.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Shore View Post
    Well, sometimes, I receieve the following
    request in place of your normal random
    question:

"Answer yes or no."

But there is no question. How can I answer yes or no,
    if no question has been asked.
    There is no question, just a request to type yes or no.
    This mechanism is just a way to distinguish between a human and a script, requiring the human behind the keyboard to insert some text, with "guidance" from the forum software. Sometimes the guidance is given in the form of a real question. In this case of "answer yes or no", it is just a prompt telling you what you should type. Both yes or no will be accepted and you will be allowed to post, after you type either value.

You obviously are not logged in. You should login to avoid answering the questions.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks

Whatever you are suggesting doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The Unicode value for a check mark is U+2713. So you should be able to enter ALT+2713 in the search box. See Is there an ASCII Code for a "check mark"? and the links on that page.

Joe
    Whatever you are suggesting doesn't work. Why don't you try it out yourself?

I should be a millionaire.

I appreciate your time and effort, but you are really wasting your time and mine. Try your own advice. Then let me know if it works for you, because is sure is not working for me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    There is no question, just a request to type yes or no.
    This mechanism is just a way to distinguish between a human and a script, requiring the human behind the keyboard to insert some text, with "guidance" from the forum software. Sometimes the guidance is given in the form of a real question. In this case of "answer yes or no", it is just a prompt telling you what you should type. Both yes or no will be accepted and you will be allowed to post, after you type either value.

You obviously are not logged in. You should login to avoid answering the questions.
    You say I am obviously not logged in. Yet on the top of my screen it says, "You are logged in as Frank Shore. Do you wish to log out?" Yet, I still get these questions.

Obviously, that which is so obvious to you is not so obvious to me.

I should be a millionaire. I know what should be. I am here asking questions because what should be happening is not happening.

Thanks
    When I logout, I can't post. When I login I can post but I don't see the text you highlighted in red above. Perhaps a screen shot would help us see what the issue is.

Oh, can I just ask that it's better just to say the suggestions don't work. Being rude will just put people off helping you. After all, they are giving their time for free.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Shore View Post
    Whatever you are suggesting doesn't work. Why don't you try it out yourself?

I should be a millionaire.

I appreciate your time and effort, but you are really wasting your time and mine. Try your own advice. Then let me know if it works for you, because is sure is not working for me.
    Perhaps you should go to some of the links in the article. There is much discussion about extended character sets. If ALT+2713 does not work for you then try a different combination. Also, perhaps you should use a hex editor to find out what the value is for the character.

BTW, I did try my own advice. The key combination gave me an unusual character. That is likely because of my setup. Since you've supplied nothing about your system setup, the language, keyboard, etc. I can only guess. Instead of expecting me to try all combinations perhaps you should give us more information to help us make a more informed decision.

Joe