Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    My guess is that when you started getting off-script (you requested a different power supply), you threw a monkey wrench into the machinery. Several dominoes fell after you did that, including the one which gave you your discount.

Kind of like going into McDonalds and asking them to make a sandwich which isn't on their menu. If they do it, you'll probably be stuck waiting a while, while everyone else zips past you.

It might be easier to simply cancel the order and start over, if they will allow you to do that.

Good luck with it, and thank you very much for your service.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-02-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They would be glad to cancel my order and start a new one but it would cost me at least $270 in lost discounts so I'll suffer with the grief they're giving me.

And thanks for your thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My new system from Dell was supposed to arrive today. I was in touch with a supervisor last week and they put a priority on my order and gave me today as the delivery date. I checked the "Order Status" just now and saw that the delivery is now scheduled for Jan. 10th.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dell cancelled my order because the original credit card hold timed out. They reinstated the order but changed the graphics card to an Nvidia 650 (from the original 660) or so they told me on the telephone but when they emailed me the new order configuration the card was a 650 Ti and only 1 Gb onboard RAM instead of the 1.5 Gb that was on the 660. The GeForce 650 Ti 1 Gb is considerably inferior to the GeForce 660 1.5 Gb according to the stats posted on the NVIDIA web site but I have no idea how that will actually affect performance. Other than the graphics card the system will still be an XPS 8700 - 4th generation Intel Core i7-4770 processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz) - 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600 MHz RAM - 2TB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive + Intel SRT 32Gb SSD Cache - 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD. There was one change on item number 730-5858 as on the original order that is described as "Thank you for choosing Dell" and on the new order the same item number says "Fixed Hardware Configuration".

I managed to get them to give me an additional $100 discount for the reduced quality graphics card so the entire system is costing me $782. The funny thing is that the super Cyber Monday discount was for buying a system that was already built and now they are having to custom build it for me. I still could not get them to upgrade the SSD at my expense which makes no sense and they continually refused to transfer the matter to someone at Dell in Texas. They have given me a delivery date of Feb. 5th which is just over 2 months since I placed the order.

Any comments or further new computer advice?

Norman

Thanks
    Norman:

Unless you are going to do heavy duty gaming or large AutoCAD drawings, I think you'll be more than satisfied with the GeForce 650. It has 1 GB of RAM, which is a huge amount for normal usage. The 660 has 1.5 GB of RAM, but I don't think you will ever notice the difference.

In fact, the 650 will probably draw less power, which will help you with the power supply situation.

Jim

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-02-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,

Thanks so much for the information and the peace of mind it gave me. I have been very upset by the GPU downgrade but I have since discovered that Dell has downgraded all their GPU's to NVIDIA 645's, even in their gaming desktop units.

Norman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At last the computer has arrived! It's supposed to have 3 slots and it does but one of the two PCI ex1 slots is blocked by the fan on the graphics card so there are only two available slots - one PCI ex1 & One PCI ex4. There are also 5 SATA connections on the motherboard (numbered 0 to 4), 2 in use by the optical and by the 2Tb HD. The SSD is 30Gb. I have been shopping for power supply adapters and for IDE to SATA adapters but my local Best Buy & Radio Shack do not carry them so I'll have to get them via mail order. Is there a vendor that you can recommend?

It looks as though I'll have to use one slot for a card that will convert two IDE drives to SATA. The card comes with two cable adapters. This system seems to have replaced the adapter system that connected to the back of the drive.

I had hoped to be able to install 2 hard drives and an optical drive from my old PC as well as add a new cable TV card and, perhaps, some other card such as FireWire. My old Dell XPS has about 7 slots.

Norman

Thanks
    This will allow you to adapt a Molex connector on your power supply to a SATA device:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200061

The cost is $2.18 each, so you can buy enough to convert all of the Molex connectors on your power supply, in case you ever need them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-02-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,

Thanks but I need female to female. I have asked Newegg if they have such an adapter and am awaiting a reply. I'll let you know what I find.

Norman

Thanks
    You can probably find what you want here:

http://www.pchcables.com/satasection.html

They take PayPal, which is important to me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-02-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,

I've just ordered 3 sets of IDE to SATA adapters for my two hard drives and one optical drive.

One of my battery backups crashed during the ice storm outages and surges. I just got support from APC and they got the unit functioning again but I had to buy a new battery which I don't mind as the original one was over 6 years old. APC wanted $102.81 for the new battery with shipping and tax so I bought it (APC brand) from Newegg for $74.99 total so pass it on if you hear of anyone needing to buy a UPS battery.

Of course due to the storms and electric problems I have not gotten anywhere yet with my new computer. We're having another severe snow & ice storm tonight.

I keep you posted.

Norman

Thanks
    I wonder if a new UPS would have been just as cheap as a new battery. A new UPS would carry a new warranty.

Hopefully it will all be working for you now.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-02-12)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,

I discussed that with the technician at APC but the newer models with similar capacity have a very, very loud fan. I know! I returned a newer unit because I could not stand the noise and the tech acknowledged that they were aware of that problem. Even he felt I would be better off with just a new battery unless I was willing to spend over $600 for a premium unit. To get the trade-up discount you have to buy a unit with capacity equal or greater than your old unit.

The battery comes with a one year guarantee.

Norman

19. The Following User Says Thank You to norm73 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-02-12)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I'm still working on transferring my two old hard drives to my new Dell 8700. It's taking a long time due to circumstances beyond my control also known as life. My old hard drives are:

WDC WD2500JS-75NCB1 [Hard drive] (250.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCANK2384215, rev 10.02E01, SMART Status: Healthy
    WDC WD2500JS-75NCB1 [Hard drive] (250.00 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WCANK2384361, rev 10.02E01, SMART Status: Healthy

They turn out not to have IDE connectors. I still have not been able to remove the old connectors as they are extremely tight but that's my next job.

One of the old hard drives has Windows 7 32-bit and I want to upgrade that to 64-bit before I move it. I know that I have to do a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit and I know how to do that but I don't know how to back up and restore all but the 32-bit os on that drive. One of the things that I'm wondering about is whether the software on that drive will work if I try to restore it to a drive that had a 32-bit os when the software was originally installed.

I have finished setting up my 500 GB hard drive which will run the old computer. I've booted from it over five times. Here' something you might find interesting. When I installed Windows on this drive (in my old computer) and it asked for a pc name I gave it my niece's. Later I installed Norton software on that drive and activated it. This software had already been activated on this pc with my name. It turned out that my niece's name cancelled out my name for the old pc but it did not count as an additional installation. Norton recognized that it was the same pc with a different name so I still have one more allowed installation to use on the new pc.

I hope you're still linked to this thread.

Norman

Thanks
    Norman:

I'm curious about the two hard drives that have connectors that you can't remove. The Western Digital web site says that your two drives are SATA. I'm not sure about what you mean by the "old connectors". If you could take a close-up picture of the connectors and post it here, it would be helpful.

Assuming that the drives have SATA connectors, it should be very easy to transfer the data to the new computer -- power down, hook up one of the old drives, power up, and copy the data from the old drive to the new drive. Repeat for the other old hard drive.

It won't be that easy for the programs; you'll need to do a fresh install of the old programs onto the new computer.

It doesn't matter which OS you had on the old hard drives, since all you're interested in doing is copying off the data.

Jim

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

norm73 (2014-03-29)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast