Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Drives Spin Down

I run Windows 8.1 on a new HP Pavilion i7. I have two hard drives, which Speccy shows as:

465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA) - the original equipment drive, and
    3726GB Hitachi HDS724040ALE640 (SATA) - a second 4Tb drive connected to a separate SATA channel connector on the motherboard.

A few minutes after startup, and periodically thereafter, one or the other drive, or maybe both, spin down. When I access them, I hear them spin up, which takes several seconds. While this is going on, I see the rotating doughnut and can't access either program functions or files.

There doesn't seem to be a BIOS setting to turn off the spin-down, and none of the Control Panel settings seem to have any effect.

I've read that there is less wear on a hard drive if it's kept spinning. At any rate, I'd like to keep them from shutting down in the middle of what I'm doing.

Ideas?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Rui
    -------
    R4