Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 Laptop boot problem

Howdy all. I've looked, but haven't found this already posted, so here goes. I have a 3 year old HP G62-435DX running Win7 - originally Home Premium. About a month ago, out of nowhere, I started having a boot problem that causes it to take 15 minutes to boot after 'press esc for boot options' comes up. After 15 minutes, it boots normally. The error said "c:\windows\bootstat.dat" & "unspecified error 0x80070057" I've googled it, and tried numerous things, with no luck. So, last night I nuked it, and did a custom install with Win7 to go back to square one. Reinstall to the original win partition went fine (no formatting on the HP or recovery partition), but the problem remains. Apparently, there are some holes in my troubleshooting!! Can anyone suggest a fix?

TIA,
    Mike.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-12-15 at 07:15.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mike,

One possibility could be the CMOS BIOS battery. It it has gone south the hardware will all have to be rediscovered at each boot. You can check this by entering the BIOS and seeing if the clock is correct. Another possibility is a close to failing hard drive that has to re-read information several times before getting a good load. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2013-12-15)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the fast reply! If it's the battery, I'm sunk, because on this model it's only accessible by disassembly!! I'll check the BIOS anyway. The HDD is only about 18 months old - doesn't mean much, though. If it was the HDD, wouldn't trigger errors? I'll have to look around and see what I have on the 'puter for HDD checking. Thanks again!

Mike.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update. Got into the BIOS and ran HDD & memory tests - both good. BIOS clock shows the correct time, so apparently the CMOS battery is okay. Any other suggestions anyone??

TIA,
    Mike.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mike,

Try Hard Disk Sentinel. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2013-12-15)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will do! Thanks RG. BTW, I also ran boot repair after booting from the win7 disc multiple times with the same result - no problems found.

Thanks again,
    Mike.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: Tried HDD Sentinel, and it shows "no action necessary". Any ideas??

TIA,
    Mike.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have any mapped drives or networked printers configured? If so, try eliminating them to see if it helps.
    Does it boot up more quickly in Safe mode? If so, then maybe something in your startup is trying to phone home and cannot.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to riffraff For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2013-12-17)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. As I said in the 1st post - I just nuked it and started from scratch. Printer isn't installed yet, nothing mapped, just shared. Only a few apps installed. The only things that didn't get nuked are the 3 factory partitions - Recovery; Tools; & System; and my data partition. Been a while since I did a custom install - could something in one of those 3 partitions be causing it? It did it from the first reboot while installing. Any ideas??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you checked HP support to see if there is a BIOS update for your model ?

If there is then ensure that you have both the battery and AC connected when updating as a loss of power during the update often has serious consequences.

Apparently, access to the CMOS battery is by removing the two screws which secure the L shaped panel which also houses the memory modules - according to Google and removing that for 15 mins will default it and not sure if this article will help as it does seem to point to the BIOS, as that tells Windows what to load.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c02693833

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2013-12-17)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15. I've seen that diagram as well. Not on this one! Dis-assembly needed. The battery isn't where the generic diagram says it is.

I have been considering a BIOS update also, but haven't got around to checking it yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Mike.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: Just checked HP's site, and I already have the latest BIOS update. Damn - struck out again! Bummer!! This is turning into a REAL hassle. I still wonder if one of the 3 factory partitions (post #9 above) doesn't have something left in it from the original home premium install that's a problem, though. Yes, I did do a custom install with 7 pro this time, instead of an upgrade (done in Jan. 2012). I will endeavor to persevere

Mike.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did your computer come with the latest BIOS update or had you previously manually updated it yourself ?

The HP article link in my Post#10 in regard to recovering an older BIOS version may apply to your computer.

The Recovery partition should have 8 - 10GB used if it's still intact and taking it back to factory as a starting point may be an option to see if it will resolve, but that wouldn't revert the BIOS if it has been updated since you bought the computer.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2013-12-18)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

If you have a retail copy of win 7 Pro. And you do image backups you do not need the recovery partitions or any other partitions that the OEM installed. You could delete them partitions and start with a completely reformatted disk with just one partition to do a clean install. Then if successful and complete booting to desktop just finish all the windows updates and create an image to another drive so you have a fail safe to recover in future. This may only work properly on a retail copy of windows but may also work on OEM copies but activation is more involved.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2013-12-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    What security software are you using?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2013-12-18)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast