New Lounger
    Thanks

Run a program when Windows powers monitor on and off?

WinXP PRO SP3.

Is there a way I can run a program when my system wants to power down the monitor (either using the screen saver feature or the advanced power settings, I don't care,) and then run another program when I want it to wake back up (by moving the mouse or hitting a key?)

I ideally, it would be best if Windows can do this natively, but if not, maybe there is a third party software solution?

Thanks,
    Mark.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This thread indicates it may be possible to monitor the power state, but you would need to run a program periodically - via Task Scheduler - to check the power state.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Mark ,
    If I'm correctly understanding you ... what you want should be easily obtained through adjusting the power scheme being run ...
    To do so .... Left Click on Desktop , Right Click on Properties , LC to open the Screensaver tab ... Left Click 'Power' button ( lower right ) . Pick one of the preset power schemes ... or design your own . If say you set the 'Turn off Monitor' entry to 5 minutes .... after no use of keyboard or mouse for 5 minutes , your monitor would go black .... Wiggling the mouse will wake it up again ...

Cheers ,

Evan .