Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No data limit, I'm up to 2.37 terabytes of off site backup, and growing. You forgot the cost of the drives but if they last 5 years then it averages about $30 a year.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    AGH!! New software ... new headaches. I'm stumped. Think I'd better leave it for today as I'm totally confused.

Got it downloaded and set up; planned to put everything in one My Cubby folder. Trying to drag My Docs or My Pictures folders into My Cubby gives me an error message that "the folder is shared with another and that won't work if you do this". So I tried copying the whole My Documents folder and that worked but surely that's not the correct way to proceed.

Am almost at the point of somehow biting the dollars bullet and increasing my limit with Mozy. At least I can make it work! Backup and Sync - confusing terms for me.

Tomorrow is another day ... will keep you posted.

Linda

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda,

I have used Google Drive since it started and only have about 2.5 Gb stored there. But I do a bit more to secure my data and my programs. As you will obviously know, I can also get my 2.5 Gb Cloud data on a standard DVD which I do very often (and date them) since a DVD is so cheap. I also have two spare drives which I only connect to my computer when I want to clone the only drive on my computer. I clone it one month to one of the spare drives and then the next month I clone it to the second spare drive. And I repeat this procedure every month so I always have a recent clone and also a clone that is up to two months old. Both spare drives are cheap 500 Gb drives. Fortunately, I have never had a reason to use any of my backed up resources. The only way I could lose everything would be if I had a fire and failed to grab one of the spare drives to carry with me, or I was not at home. So the cloud in this case would only save a bit of data.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll put in my vote for CrashPlan. The free version can backup to a local Hard Drive (USB or otherwise) and can also backup to a Friend over the internet for free.

They have paid plans that are reasonable, I use the unlimited one for $60.00 a year. That comes out to $5 a month for unlimited cloud backup and local too, which is what I recommend. If you want to be protected from all possible dangers, CrashPlan covers you pretty good.
    Fire, Theft, Natural Disaster, Mechanical Failure, Electrical surge damage or user error.

3-2-1 Backup is the best approach. 3 copies, 2 different media and 1 off-site.

One of the only things it doesn't cover is an Image Backup of your Operating System. There are a variety of programs that can do that, some free.
    Windows 7 and probably 8 offer that for free.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just an update report: I learned about a lot of possible solutions here and for that I thank all posters!

What I ended up doing was taking advantage of a year end promotion offered by Mozy and upgrading to a paid from a free plan. Not before, unfortunately, I'd tried to lessen the size of my backup by painstakingly going through the list of files and unchecking those I thought didn't need to be backed up. After about an hour of this with not much of an effect on the backup size, I decided that my patience was gone and my frustration was high ... it then became worth it to pay!

I always seem to forget that any new program, no matter how user friendly, requires time to master. If you have the time to invest, it's worth it; if it is off focus at that particular time, it is not. Think I'll post that on the top of my PC screen to remind myself!

Happy New Year!

Linda

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJet View Post
    ..The only way I could lose everything would be if I had a fire and failed to grab one of the spare drives to carry with me, or I was not at home. So the cloud in this case would only save a bit of data.
    I backup personal files on a network drive every day (Western Digital MyBookLive has live backup), then monthly image files of my system and personal drives (Acronis True Image). A copy of the images on a 64-GB thumb drive is always with me. I copy my photos to DVDs once a year. I feel comfortable with this. Everyone's needs are different. Prices of drives are amazing if you snag one on sale. Best money I ever spent.

I use Dropbox (currently 6GB) for files I want to sync across several devices as well as the cloud. I put sensitive text in the cloud only in encrypted files (fSekrit). I have a Copy account (20GB) but haven't used it yet. I gave up on Skydrive (25GB) trying to copy photo folders - it not only ignored the folders it stopped far short of storage claimed! If 2 GB isn't enough, keep looking. There's lots of free clouds out there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123